Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyyy View Post
Deaver is one of the very few companies that manufacturers custom springs in the US - stands behind their product and helps make adjustments as required (I have them on my FG).

Since you are in Germany, I'm not sure how much this benefit might be worth to you.

I would also say that the internet can be a cruel place, but I don't remember seeing any negative feedback about Deaver, ever.
The Deavers I have are awesome but make no mistake the Bilsteins they spec as part of their "upgrade package" are not custom-valved for their springs or application. You can buy it them off the shelf from any retailer.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetubi View Post
Yeah I know - about weights. But I have the interiour rebuilt and the generator removed and some more. So I wait for this to be done to have the right figures.

Which heights to you mean they will need??
I don't remember exactly what we measured, but John can tell you.. Essentially they need to know how much of an arch the springs should have so the van sits level with the front without the blocks..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #33

I have the Deaver springs front and rear, which I realize isn't what your looking for, BUT I would highly recommend Agile's Fox Shocks vs the Bilstein. When I had Deaver install their springs they installed the Bilstein shocks. The shocks were OK, not great, and failed in a few years. Some had no dampening and others were mostly frozen. And most of those miles were highway not off road. Last summer I installed Agile's Fox Shocks which have been much better both highway and off road. John was great to work with.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I have the Deaver springs front and rear, which I realize isn't what your looking for, BUT I would highly recommend Agile's Fox Shocks vs the Bilstein. When I had Deaver install their springs they installed the Bilstein shocks. The shocks were OK, not great, and failed in a few years. Some had no dampening and others were mostly frozen. And most of those miles were highway not off road. Last summer I installed Agile's Fox Shocks which have been much better both highway and off road. John was great to work with.

-Eric
Same here. I've had to rebuild two of the Bilsteins in less than 20,000 miles. That's how I learned they are not custom-valved. At first, I was going through Jeff at Deaver because I assumed I had to in order to get his valving. Bilstein told me otherwise and for the 2nd I just dealt directly with them. In short, Go Fox.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Same here. I've had to rebuild two of the Bilsteins in less than 20,000 miles. That's how I learned they are not custom-valved. At first, I was going through Jeff at Deaver because I assumed I had to in order to get his valving. Bilstein told me otherwise and for the 2nd I just dealt directly with them. In short, Go Fox.

I will. Agile and Fox.

Even more as I already have bilsteins. They are part of my QuadVan conversion. Dont know however if they are the same Deaver would add.

Still not sure if I go the Deaver springs way or everything from Agile. I tend to give it all to Agile.

As I have a 3.9 in liftblock and the oem 4 leaf springs I guess I would need at least a pack of 12 springs if I want to compensate the liftblock if I want to get rid of it. Right?

Perhaps even more as I want the rear to go up and the Agile RIP kit is said to bring the front 1" or 1 1/2" higher.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetubi View Post
As I have a 3.9 in liftblock and the oem 4 leaf springs I guess I would need at least a pack of 12 springs if I want to compensate the liftblock if I want to get rid of it. Right?
No, it doesn't work like that. Very simplistically, the number of leafs is more dependent on the weight and handling, the arch of the leafs will set up the height..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
No, it doesn't work like that. Very simplistically, the number of leafs is more dependent on the weight and handling, the arch of the leafs will set up the height..

I see. Thank you!
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #38

Leaf springs - Deaver or SMB replacement?

Thanks for the info everyone. I just put a deposit down on the full deaver package. ShuttlePilot- do you know the valving specs on the fox shocks you are using? Are you using the fox performance 2.0 series shocks with or without Reservoirs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lokoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokoh View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I just put a deposit down on the full deaver package. ShuttlePilot- do you know the valving specs on the fox shocks you are using? Are you using the fox performance 2.0 series shocks with or without Reservoirs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know how you springs work out. As for valving specs, it's unlikely you will be changing the valves yourself since it requires some special tools and knowledge. Far easier will be to purchace them from Agile, where they will be pre-valved for your particular needs, at a price very close to what you will pay anywhere else for stock valving. Unless you spend hours pounding down washboard roads, it's unlikely you will ever over heat your shocks, so remote reservoirs are not neccessary, but they do look cool.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #40

Well I finally got the dealers installed this week. Took about 3 months for the springs to come in. They installed them, fabricated lower shock mounts on the front axle u bolts and a installed a new panhard bar. I chose not to get the bilsteins bc I was going to get some new king shocks. So I have the original old man emu shocks on there now and let me just say .....Wow what a difference. I don’t think I even need to get new shocks at this point. The deavers ride so incredibly smooth. No more throwing my kids into the ceilings on dips. It’s night and day difference. I would definitely recommend this upgrade. I’m sure the agile rides even better but for a straight axle leaf sprung 10k pound van, I have no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lokoh is offline   Reply With Quote