Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > 4x4
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #11

You guys are wicked smart. I spent an hour last night just trying to figure out "Caster". All I could figure out is that you move the axle forward and have an angle back into your Springs instead of being straight underneath them. And I am probably dead wrong as it seemed to relate to steering angle.

Man I wish I had spent more time working on trucks and such...........

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
If you get an axle newer than 2012, you’ll get 14.29” rotors as the standard. For that reason alone, I only look for 2013+ axles if I’m looking for low-miles candidates.
Does the donor axle have to be out of a 4wd Super Duty? Or will a 2wd also work? I think I know the answer but just want to clarify.
SteelheadJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
You guys are wicked smart. I spent an hour last night just trying to figure out "Caster". All I could figure out is that you move the axle forward and have an angle back into your Springs instead of being straight underneath them. And I am probably dead wrong as it seemed to relate to steering angle.
You got the jist of it man. A little more angle the right direction helps the turned wheels return to zero quicker and with less input from driver. There's a too much for every application, but I loves me some caster, especially in our little cars auroxing. Super helpful when you lose track of where you are with steering input, lol. Giver some throttle and they go back to zero quick

Will this kit dequiglify as well as dequadlify with the proper new parts?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #14

I think i see too that if your caster is zero, say, and you actually decompress the springs after hitting a bump, that would put your arc from the radius arms behind the springs and the force of going forward could actually keep the axle from coming back forward to zero. With more caster, you still have caster left when you decompress, you come back to zero faster as some force from going forward actually puts you there. Vectors and stuff, cosine and sine and things.

Or I am dead wrong again.......I have a lot to learn.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #15

Garage
Steelhead Jones - don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the 2wd trucks don't have a solid front axle.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #16

The F450/550 has a "mono beam" axle that mounts up with radius arms. Not sure if the width is the same as the f250/350 though..
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
....Will this kit dequiglify as well as dequadlify with the proper new parts?
I'm currently working with a Quigley owner on the feasibility of this. There are some limitations with the Quigleys and how much of this kit can be swapped over but I believe I'll be able to get the same ride and handling characteristics as my complete conversion. I'll update as we progress.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #18

Garage
thanks mg. ill stay tuned for updates. no rush, im pretty broke atm, but its been on my mind since I realized there were other options than Quigley, lol. at the point of do I spend the money on custom adjustable trailing arms to get me some caster or just wait till you determine if its possible to work your magic on a Quigley and get the bigger brakes and caster that way?

guess I need to post my review of your conversion here too huh? lemmie go copy from expo...

drove me a mg converted van today...all i can say is thanks a lot. now i gotta save up for another expensive damn project/modification

in all seriousness though. andrews van drove wonderfully. i didnt take it out on the interstate cause i had jabber jawed his ear off already and he needed to get on the road, but the in town stuff was noticeably better than my quigley. i drove the same exact route right after driving his van and hit all the same road imperfections at the same speeds (rr tracks, shoddy achd patchwork, terrible transitions around manhole covers and basic crappy overused local roads). we have the same shocks in front so the drive being smoother was most definitely the suspension setup, unless our spring rates are completely different. im running the moog springs ramsey suggested getting (pn#cc880s). can you tell me what springs you installed on his van? do you use different springs for different vans?

i believe i have more spring pack in the back of mine and guessing weigh a little more being an eb, but he has double shocks. so the rear was kinda a wash imho. but up front was noticeably smoother with your setup. all those imperfections just felt harsher in my van. steering felt more connected. didnt need as much input from the driver. turning radius felt about the same. my quigley has the open track arms that are prone to cracking if that makes any difference. only thing that surprised me was the brakes didnt feel as crisp as i assumed they would. BUT, that could have something to do with jumping out of a car with dual piston brembo calipers after a 900 mile roadtrip too. plus i didnt try any panic stops. didnt wanna shift his entire load

i took some time to crawl underneath to check out the install as well and it looks very nice. very straightforward and basic. look forward to helping tyson with his conversion for some first hand experience.

in short, nice freaking work mr mg!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #19

What an awesome feeling to get these pictures from customer Steve in Colorado... Van #4 on the road with my parts.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #20

Sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote