Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #51

Re: Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

This should probably be a separate discussion heading altogether, but we just got in from SMB West, where we spent all day today with Alan in Fresno.

Big news: THEY ARE GETTING TWO 4x4 MERCEDES Sprinter vans direct from Europe this month for "evaluation" purposes. He is hoping to take one of the 4x4 Sprinters to The Overland Expo. He mentioned that Mercedes can provide a 4x4 option at a lower cost than they (or Quigley) could convert one. Granted, not a rock crawler... but suitable for many needs.

According to Alan, Mercedes is feeling the pressure of the Transit 4x4 market potential, and are looking to 2014 (2015 model year?) as the potential date.

I know, I know... these rumors have circled us for years. But this is the first time that Mercedes has exported European built direct-from-factory 4x4 Sprinters to the US. And this is direct from Alan today. Not holding my breath, but a bit of news for sure. Thought I would share.

Also, he showed us the Econoline cutaway (frame construction). He said they have already designed their improved E-Series rear which gains 8" in width. According to Alan, he will be building Econoline-esque frame-on 4x4s for the next 15 years with this cutaway and his fabricated body installed.

Looks like they're covering all bases, and making things happen.

tidalboy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #52

Personally, I think they are pretty ugly. I understand why they are making the move as the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter is taking a very big chuck out of the commercial van market here in the US, which has mostly been ford dominated, not to mention becoming very popular for RV's..

However they are still ugly. I couldn't see driving something like that as a "personal" van. Then again I have my concerns with Ford's design dept and the newer van front grills.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #53

Well almost two years has since passed since the last post here, but it looks like the Quigley Transit 4x4 ison the way to market soon!

Pickup Trucks site has done a quick review of the conversion where it was tested at Moab in Utah, so the conversion must be pretty durable. However note that the Transit used is a short wheelbase short roof. No info is given on how well it does on the longer wheelbase and higher roof although I'm sure there will be restriction on packaging as far as length and height. The article says the front end is based on F-150 4x4 and pictures show a true manual transfer case with 4H and 4L! The best thing is that conversion price stays around the same price as the conversion for Econoline.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/04/qu ... t-4x4.html
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote