Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #31

Re: Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Pretty close Jage!

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #32

Well, here's a disappointing thing I just read while looking through Quigley site again. In the Ford section and after clicking the Ford Products Overview page, shows this paragraph at the top:

---

Full Size Transit News
2014 Transit to Replace E-Series

Rest assured Quigley Motor Company does have plans to make a 4x4 full size Transit. If we can engineer it in an affordable manner then we shall offer a 4x4 Transit. The Transit is still a year away from Ford's production so we are hoping to have available our 4x4 system within 6 months of Ford's release. We will keep you updated in the months to come. Please monitor our News and Events section.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/F...sOverview.aspx

---

Read specifically the sentence that I bolded for y'all. So basically, they're still planning it out meaning they probably don't know much about the Transit as much as we do! Since it's a unibody, they probably won't do it since it would be expensive to reinforce the frame and body after adding whatever mods to it. The Nissan NV is a body-on-frame if I'm not mistaken and they still did a basic independent front suspension 4x4 system so I'm pretty sure the Transit conversion as a unibody 4x4 would just be too complicated and darn expensive for an aftermarket company to do it.

Since Ford is only rolling out the MWB low- and high-roof version at launch, they'll probably see demands for a 4x4 or all-wheel-drive version similar to the ones in Europe. Perhaps a better factory-system altered for the American market (such as low range, locking diffs, etc.). One can hope but all we can do is just wait and wait...
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #33

The picture link I posted above shows a 1991 unibody Transit van with a 4x4 conversion from an outfit in the UK called County Tractors. I think this particular one was an Air Force van. They did them for decades for the utility companies, British Armed forces, Police, Forestry etc. I don't think that company is still doing Transit conversions, though they may be. There is also a company in Australia that is doing 4x4 conversions on new Transits today.

The older conversions were done with Dana axles and Ford trans parts. So if the British, who brought the world such Engineering triumphs as Lucas electrics (let the jokes begin...<http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/collection-lucas-jokes-21723/>) and Leyland cars can do it and make a profit, I sincerely hope that at least one enterprising US company can turn their hands to it. Anybody want to go into business with U-Joint off-road to make it happen?

Rant mode on: The issue of it being a unibody is not the big deal people seem to think it is. A unibody is just a body with an integrated chassis, not some new alien species of gelatinous automobile. Almost all vehicles are built this way today. It exists because engineering for cars has advanced at least a little since the days of Henry Ford. With advances in metallurgy, CAD and metal forming, it is cheaper and easier to build than a body on frame, can be better engineered for such things as crash resistance, makes a more solid, quieter vehicle and is stronger, allowing for weight savings in other areas of the vehicle. VW took the unibody Vanagon and made it 4wd by bolting on a few bits to the front, the T5 VW van is a unibody, the Sprinter is a unibody and people are converting those. The unibody Transit is available with FWD, RWD and AWD.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990
Read specifically the sentence that I bolded for y'all. So basically, they're still planning it out meaning they probably don't know much about the Transit as much as we do!
Website blurbs might not reflect current situation though, unless it was just put up and even then it might be the web guy's take, not official from the president.

Quote:
Since it's a unibody, they probably won't do it since it would be expensive to reinforce the frame and body after adding whatever mods to it.
Unibodies are not inherently bad, nor are they mutually exclusive to 4x4. Even so, you can put a 4x4 on a Sprinter and probably never do anything to tear up the unibody... not to say that means Quigley would necessarily do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #35

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #36

Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac

Body on frame is much more versatile at least for the applications my SMBs have seen. Believe me, the extra space and fuel economy would not be lost on me if it could stand up to the abuse. Then when people start contemplating a pop top for lower profile, forget about it. The unibody is totally useless in that case as it is no longer integral.
Hi;

This statement condemns every Dodge van with a pop top built since 1971.

They are all unibody.

I am unable to imagine how many engineers and corporate lawyers would have reviewed this lack of integrity, as you put it, created by umpteen companies and delivered to thousands of customers in the 32 years this design successfully rolled on down the road. Millions of miles of use.

This statement also ignores the reinforcing that SMB puts around the pop top opening. It is heavy. Much heavier than the roof it replaces.

Totally useless? No. Fact based commentary? Hmmm.

Regards,
Gavin
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #37

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #38

New info as of yesterday: the 3.2L inline-5 diesel is now confirmed for the Transit! Oddly, though, the engine will be marketed as a PowerStroke in the US rather than the DuraTorq as known in other markets. I'm beginning to wonder why Ford never offered the diesel I5 engine for the Econoline to replace the 6.0L in the first place? Sure it won't be as powerful but with a lighter weight, more fuel efficiency, it would have surely sold more in the commercial markets. I won't be surprised if sometime later one or more of the members here would actually attempt to install the 3.2 I5 into their existing Econoline!!

Below are two articles. One for the van and the other for the engine in general.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/10/ford ... 4-transit/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/12/fo ... esels.html

As for the unibody debate, I'm fully aware of the pros and cons of it. I actually like the fact that the load floor is a lot lower and with the higher roof, will allow a extra height space. I'm 6'4" so this change would be a plus for me. Others would be: safety, quieter noise, structural rigidity, etc. I'm just wondering how much will the Transit be since the Econoline can be had with discounts, rebates, good deals, etc. these days.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #39

Good news, Ford has released info on the upcoming Transit! There will be two wheelbases, three lengths, and even three roof heights (including the Jumbo Roof). Will be offered in cargo and passenger wagons before eventually offering chassis-cab and cutaways as they phase out the Econoline cutaways! The only info not announced, yet, are the engine ratings, fuel efficiencies, and prices. Ford would surely release that info at next month's Auto Show in Detroit.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.c ... e_id=37513

More info of the 3.2L PowerStroke turbo-diesel I5 engine.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.c ... e_id=37486

Another link with lots of pictures!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/14/woul ... xl-or-xxl/

So far, Quigley's site hasn't changed in terms of news so I'm guessing they're still working on figuring out their 4x4 system. I'm looking forward to seeing the Transit offered in its RV/motorhome style and the do-it-yourselfer camper forms. I'm also awaiting on whether or not Sportsmobile will do their customization on it. Surely, they would since it's a lot similar to the Sprinter. In fact, since the fuel efficiency and prices are supposed to be advantages of the Transit, the Transit may be the only van offered by Sportsmobile in addition to the Chevy Express/GMC Savana!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #40

The E series cutaway will still be around longer after FMC stops making the vans. Expect SMB to offer something on the cutaway chasis.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote