Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #1

Sterling Axles

So im trying to understand exactly why people swap a sterling axle into their ford E-series van after coverting it to a 4x4 axle?

I have always assumed the reason was an attempt to match the 8x170mm lug pattern and increase rear track width. Am i wrong in my assumption? Is it also true that even with a sterling axle a person still has to run a two inch thick wheel spacer on the axle?

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:10 PM   #2

No spacer is needed. If you get a 2011+ axle, they come with a optional e-locker. You can add the same e locker ($500), but you will have to drill a hole in your axle housing for the wire.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #3

UJOR is a big fan of them.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:55 PM   #4

Even though most of the e-series came from the factory with a dana 60 rear axle, I'd wager that most were semi-float (c-clip) which is very failure prone under a heavy vehicle. The stronger full float dana 60 found under many of the e350's is a good axle, but at the weight that many built out smb's come in at, even it isn't bomb proof. If you need a gear/locker/brake/bolt pattern/track width change, a Sterling can end up a lot cheaper if you find a matched set of front/rear axles.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:03 PM   #5

We used a 10.5 Sterling in ours. Matched the F 350 front axle, no spacers, bigger brakes, and the locker I wanted is available for the Sterling, but not for the van Dana 60.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:22 PM   #6

So the answer is that they want a full float, wider track width, convert to 8x1700mm lug, and as a bonus they can usually get a locker at the same time if they shop a bit for the right one?

Ok thanks, the dually of course is a full float and has a limited slip in it. That said i never took the time to research the needs of a SRW van and the specific details related to its rear axle needs when doing a 2005+ 4x4 axle swap.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
So the answer is that they want a full float, wider track width, convert to 8x1700mm lug, and as a bonus they can usually get a locker at the same time if they shop a bit for the right one?

In my area I can get a Full Float D60 or a Sterling for about the same cost. So as you can see, the Sterling has a lot of advantages.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:13 PM   #8

Garage
My cargo came with a semi float. At 10,600lbs I didn’t trust it to carry the weight. That in itself is enough reason for me.

I found an 05 f250 at a local salvage yard that had just less miles on it than my van with a 10.5 sterling rear axle. Paid $350ish and a hundred of that was a core charge. I removed the trac lock diff out of my semi float axle before taking it back. I sold that for around $200. So other than my time and the new spring seats I bought for the sterling conversion, it was damn near a wash. I think I was out a couple hundred by the time calipers/brakes were sorted. That’s easy money for peace of mind when an axle finally does break my wheel won’t be go rocketing by me on the freeway or shoot off cliff out in the sticks. Only downside is it does take some getting used to being considerably wider in the rear of the van. Gotta swing a little wider to not hang a wheel over an edge or drag it on/over obstacles.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:34 PM   #9

Ok, thanks guys. I will file all that away in case i decide to down size in the future sometime.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:51 PM   #10

I've spent tens of thousands to maintain and repair the Dynatrac Dana 60. Consider the above suggestion to find a matching pair of Sterling front and FF/rear axles. Ask if anyone has installed Sterlings front and rear and whether they needed to shorten the tubes.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote