Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #1

AeroTanks 20 gallon aux fuel tank

Has anyone had this installed and if so are you happy with it? I know Aerotanks and Agile Offroad can do the install, any other vendors qualified such as Trail Tested Mfg.?

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #2

FWIW - I did quite a bit of searching on the aux tank and found zero information. The only way I knew Agile was doing it was from a post on instagram making reference to the aux tank as one of the things that particular client was getting. I wouldn't trust anyone other than aero tanks or Agile to do the install as I'm pretty sure there are very few examples floating around. Since the tank is not DOT approved, none of the major companies using Sprinter vans have done it. And, there aren't any other companies in the US making an aux tank for the Sprinter.

I think when I mentioned it to Brian, he knew of one other guy that had it installed (may have been the guy on instagram), but otherwise he knew very little about it.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Adventure Trailer in Prescott is installing auxiliary fuel tanks as well. Close friend had this done recently and is very happy with their work. I plan on having them put one in for me as well.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

On a Sprinter, SMB typically installs the house battery on the driver's side in what I believe is the same location as the Aero tank goes. I understand that lithium batteries will most likely be installed inside, thus freeing up this space. Does anyone have dimensions for these spare tanks? I would like to better understand the space requirements required.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
On a Sprinter, SMB typically installs the house battery on the driver's side in what I believe is the same location as the Aero tank goes. I understand that lithium batteries will most likely be installed inside, thus freeing up this space. Does anyone have dimensions for these spare tanks? I would like to better understand the space requirements required.
Not sure if Adventure Trailer is doing their own custom tanks, but the Aero Tank is nearly the same dimensions as the factory tank. It will take up all the space on the driver side of the van going front to back, and hangs down the same amount as the factory fuel tank with a skid plate.

Trail Surfer - do you have any details on this aux tank setup? How many gallons, is it a transfer style tank or does it replace the OE tank, and where do you fill it at?
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #6

I am going to discuss the pre-wiring requirements with SMB when I visit on 9/6. I'll let all know how this goes. The tank also bolts up through the floor of the van. It would seem this is a better install before the interior is built out but that isn't possible. I am going to ask SMB if they can plan for this though. I've asked Aerotank if I pre-buy the tank if I can get a template and any other required parts that may help in the initial stages. I won't do this if some of the interior has to be removed for the install after the conversion. I would guess no but I'm asking the question.

The space is free for us since our battery will be a lithium (we hope) on the interior of the van.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #7

I look forward to this information as well. Our build is lithium. Hoping to put the battery on the rear passenger side under a transverse bed mounted in the Flarespace section. Composting toilet, so no black tank. Outside shower, so small grey water tank. I am interested in more fresh water and more diesel.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #8

The battery I'd like to put in is the Lithionics GT12V600A-8D-CTRL400. It weighs 145 lbs. Dimensions are 23.0LX13.0WX12.87H. Don't know how this will equate underneath our seat aft with the box and connections required.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 AM   #9

Aux fuel tank pictures - forwarded from Agile Offroad

These pictures show the tank from underneath. I have one that shows the interior with required bolts. However, picture too large.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2581.jpg   IMG_2582.jpg   IMG_2586.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #10

That would also add 145 lbs of extra diesel fuel weight plus the weight of the tank. The weights add up fast in these vans.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote