Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #101

Pre and post Aluminess front bumper pictures:

As it looked parked in the Aluminess install bay. By the way, everyone at Aluminess was great to work with and they all treated us wonderfully while we were there!

And as it looked after, with both the front winch bumper and the Nerf Bars installed.

Note the 20" Rigid LED light bar. I sent it to Aluminess and they made a custom bracket on the underside of the brush guard for it. Clean install!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #102

And after Aluminess we stopped at Van Compass for their Sprinter skid plate system. Again, we were treated wonderfully, seems to be a common trait with those associated with this community.

I replied to the Van Compass thread previously, suffice it to say I am very satisfied with the product and the result.

Here is the view from the front looking to the back. You can just see the fuel tank skid plate on the right to the rear.

Here is a close up of the fuel tank skid plate. I knew I needed this the first time I crawled under a Sprinter and saw the underside of that big unprotected plastic tank.

And here is a side view showing the mounting brackets for the 2nd alternator. If you go with this option I would strongly suggest adding the engine skid plate as the 2nd alternator is mounted down low and is susceptible to snow and impact damage - not to mention water damage if the water is too deep!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #103

I had to wait until we got home get to where I could get a vantage point looking down on the roof.

Not shown are the Thule cross bars that are yet to be installed, one behind the panels, one just in front of the panels, and another at the front of the penthouse. I want the ability to carry long things - canoe, ladder, 20' lumber and etc. and I want to be able to load from the back, thus the positioning of the panels at the rear vs. the more common front. The full length 119" Thule rails worked out well and SMB did a clean job of installing to them.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #104

Previous posts I read when doing my research talked a lot about the positioning of additional electrical switches - on the dash utilizing existing switch blanks, added in various locations on the dash and up above near the center dome light. Here is what I ended up with, another clean installation by SMB.

Left to right: The front LED light bar that is mounted on the winch bumper brush guard, the two LED lights mounted in the rear bumper, the winch and the ARB air compressor mounted under the hood.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #105

A previous picture posted above shows the air compressor outlet mounted behind the driver's side rear tire. Here is the air compressor itself, mounted under the hood on the driver's side. I believe MB installs the 2nd battery here if that factory option is selected.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #106

Very nice!

In the pictures of the rear inside with doors open, what's the plate mounted on the table, which is itself mounted for storage? Is that a step?

My SMB (Transit) is currently in Austin with a pick up in about 5 weeks. Thx.
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnam View Post
Very nice!

In the pictures of the rear inside with doors open, what's the plate mounted on the table, which is itself mounted for storage?
That is the base for the table that is standing just behind it, the metal support post is in the XL storage below the floor.

I had the option of this base, covered with Loncoin flooring to match what is in the van, and the typical three-footed base that I saw in Fresno. I liked this much better and we dimensioned the table to fit adjacent to the cabinet where you see it stored.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #108
PvT

I've been following your thread for quite some time and just wanted to chime in for a big thank you for sharing all this detail and pics. Much appreciated! Thread certainly bookmarked for possible future Sprinter SMB.

Congrats and enjoy!!!

Peter vT

PS: Some great decisions made, love that outside shower access (lockable in the future maybe?)
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvT View Post
Some great decisions made, love that outside shower access (lockable in the future maybe?)
Great catch, I'll add that to the list! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #110
PvT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Great catch, I'll add that to the list! Thanks!
Although a passerby might appreciate a shower.

If concerned with city water connection access tampering (generally shouldn't be a concern), if you do a Google image search for "RV water connection lock" and drill down to one of the images that looks like a cap only "with key" and not the hatch solution (that then brings up more related images). If these are the correct size? ie:

PvT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade