Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #81

Cheaper way to mount oversized spare than the Aluminess rear bumper. I am still going with the Aluminess bumper for the swingarms, box, and open trailer hitch, so this is temporary for me, but thought I'd post it since it meets the minimum requirements of being able to carry an oversized spare outside the vehicle. Everything I read about the door mount products suggests the load is too heavy in a practical application (heavier wheel/tire, plus rough road conditions). I did have to use a 3/4" piece of plywood between tire and mount to pull it away from the doors. The larger diameter extended at the angle of the mount had it pressed against the door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note this does preclude use of the rear doors for all practical purposes. Again, I am comfortably committed to the Aluminess option when it arrives, but I needed something before then and this may be sufficient for some.

Snowy
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4236.jpg   IMGP4237.jpg  

snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #82

Posted some more info based on recent trip on trip report. Wasn't sure it belonged here or not. See link below for some info on sub-freezing temps.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post189023

Snowy
Old 11-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #83

Do you have the muffler installed on the D5? Not sure if it's optional from SMB, but Espar does make one. How long would you say it takes to go from a cold D5 to where it's kicking out heat?

Also, do you have the extreme insulation option?
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Do you have the muffler installed on the D5? Not sure if it's optional from SMB, but Espar does make one. How long would you say it takes to go from a cold D5 to where it's kicking out heat?

Also, do you have the extreme insulation option?
Muffler is installed. D5 starts pumping hot air in 2-3 minutes after the windup (jet engine sound) seems to peak and stabilize.

Not aware of extreme insulation option. What do you know about it?

Snowy
Old 11-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #85

It's SMB's extra insulation option for winter camping. They were showing it to us during our tour recently. We'll be camping in temps reaching -20, so it was something they suggested we get.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #86

Quote:
It's SMB's extra insulation option for winter camping. They were showing it to us during our tour recently. We'll be camping in temps reaching -20, so it was something they suggested we get.
Which SMB location were you talking to? Maybe I missed that part of the conversation because I would definitely have been interested. Or maybe I did get it (it would have been an obvious thing for them to include given my description of needs). Do you know what it includes? As I recall, the insulation solution I got included some batting material plus a vapor barrier, with air gap to outer wall I think.

Snowy
Old 11-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #87

West. It's listed on their options sheet you can get online as "extreme insulation." We also ordered the van with the door insulation option for the cab area. I don't have any details on what the extreme option entails.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #88

Extreme insulation

I had it installed in my 144 4x4 in SMB Texas which I picked up in early October. It was another $795. It will be worth in the cold. It's two layers. The first looks like carpet padding and the last layer is the standard reflective stuff. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3142.jpg   IMG_3140.jpg   IMG_3141.jpg   IMG_3138.jpg   IMG_3143.jpg  

Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #89

Interesting. What do that put in those spaces without the extreme insulation?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #90

Quote:
Interesting. What do that put in those spaces without the extreme insulation?
I have the exterior shower connection there in that space by the back door
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, cassette, hydronic, penthouse, sprinter