Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Sprinter RB 3500 vs 2500 high top driveability?

Hello all, this is my first post which didn't get much of a response. I thought I would re-phrase my questions in the hope that it makes more sense to more of you.

I did do a search but could not find my particular questions so here I go.

I am stuck between picking the 2500 vs the 3500 cargo van for my RV conversion. I understand the weight of my proposed conversion (RB110S) would be about 7,700 lbs (Paul SMB Texas), leaving about 850 lbs for the wife, me, and whatever else we bring along. We think we travel light but who know. We don't collect large rocks though... (a Long, Long Trailer reference).

I have some specific questions regarding the heavier duty rating of the 3500 so here I go:
1. Has anyone driven both that can give some comparison feedback?
2. Will the dual rear tires help noticably in heavy/gusting crosswinds?
3. Does the 3500 already have the vibration absorber included or is it not available at all?
4. Does the 3500 ride noticably more more stiffly than a 2500 with the full HD setup?
5. Anything else I should be aware of in the 2500 vs 3500 debate?

I don't really want to go excessively rugged but if it performs a reasonable function then I am all for it. I have read that several of the 2500 RBs are about at their GVWR when loaded for a typical trip but it is not a problem. I like the idea of a safety margin but if it is negligable and there is a high price to pay in comfort than I am fine with the 2500.

I would really appreciate driving feedback about your 2500 or 3500. You all have a lot more experience than I do and I should be able to recognize trends if nothing else from you feedback.

I have to say I have been lurking here for a while and it is great to find a resource like this, especially when focusing on Sportsmobile in particular.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Chum

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Re: Sprinter RB 3500 high top?

Hello Chum:

I don't have answers for your queries, but since some of them could apply to a broad array of Sprinters (meaning not just those used for Sportsmobile conversions) you might try posting them at a general Sprinter forum like:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...play.php?f=105

Which is the NCV3 section of the Sprinter-Forum.

Best Wishes,

Howard L. Snell
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote