Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #31

Luv'n our Transit

I'm glad to hear that Scotty's Transit has been so reliable. Our 2015 SMB with the Eco-boost has been great. I love the power and the mileage has been almost as good as my SUV. We don't have a lot of miles on it, but I have been in a couple situations I wished I had AWD. The only issues I've had, have been with the SMB built parts, (propane system). I think it would be good to have the AWD version not be too tall. My 2WD RB-50 with the PH can drive into my 8'-0" garage, (and the HOA likes that). If you're doing more hard-core 4-wheeling, I can see you need the clearance. For many of us, a bad dirt road is as bad as it gets. Driving in yesterday's Colorado Front-range blizzard, I was glad I wasn't in my Transit. AWD would have made it doable.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #32
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Remember, Ford's MO on the Transit is a 'world vehicle' or whatever they call it. The AWD system coming here is probably the same one they've been selling across the pond for a few years. I don't know anything about it. I just see red when I think about the fact that an AMERICAN car company doesn't offer their best in AMERICA. Freakin' idiots. Perhaps they're seeing the light.

We are getting the exact same AWD system that the rest of the world has been enjoying for the last few years. This, and the new Ranger truly will be/are “World Cars”.
Also, since the 10 Speed automatic is the same one that Chevy is/will be using (they codeveloped it together), repairs, cost, and availability of parts should be excellent.
The Fiat Ducato also has an AWD system available elsewhere... let’s see if it makes its way over here...

*All typos courtesy of Siri.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I'm glad to hear that Scotty's Transit has been so reliable. Our 2015 SMB with the Eco-boost has been great. I love the power and the mileage has been almost as good as my SUV. We don't have a lot of miles on it, but I have been in a couple situations I wished I had AWD. The only issues I've had, have been with the SMB built parts, (propane system). I think it would be good to have the AWD version not be too tall. My 2WD RB-50 with the PH can drive into my 8'-0" garage, (and the HOA likes that). If you're doing more hard-core 4-wheeling, I can see you need the clearance. For many of us, a bad dirt road is as bad as it gets. Driving in yesterday's Colorado Front-range blizzard, I was glad I wasn't in my Transit. AWD would have made it doable.
How much clearance does your transit SMB have in your 8' garage?
wanlarry719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #34

Clearance

I'll have to check next time I back it out, but I added a solar panel that sticks up 3 1/2" above the penthouse and it still clears easily, (another 1"-2").
A lot depends on how the garage door is hung and if there is anything protruding from the door. My door is pretty clean.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
I'll have to check next time I back it out, but I added a solar panel that sticks up 3 1/2" above the penthouse and it still clears easily, (another 1"-2").
A lot depends on how the garage door is hung and if there is anything protruding from the door. My door is pretty clean.
That's great. I have 2020 low roof 148' wheel base on order. Was hoping it will clear my 8' garage after I install penthouse, because Ford has kept the same height.

Do you mind telling me what appliances you have in your RB 50 SMB? I am in the DIY design phase while waiting for the van.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #36

Larry,
We have the standard RB50 stuff; Frig, 2-burner stove, sink, 9 Gal. H2O tank, LP furnace, and they pre-wired for solar. We also have a port-a-potty. We had a rear hose connection put in, but we never use it. The swivel passenger seat is a "must have".

Good Luck
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Larry,
We have the standard RB50 stuff; Frig, 2-burner stove, sink, 9 Gal. H2O tank, LP furnace, and they pre-wired for solar. We also have a port-a-potty. We had a rear hose connection put in, but we never use it. The swivel passenger seat is a "must have".

Good Luck
Thanks. That's what we are thinking of. We also want a microwave.
When you get a chance, can you measure the distance from the sofa bed to the front most spot behind the driver's seat so I can see if I can get a cabinet added for the microwave or additional storage.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #38
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Be happy that your SMB has only had propane problems. Most people have worse issues. My entire top failed, from brand new. SMBW refused to fix it, and like many others, we were forced to sell it. It was 7 months old. Fighting with SMBW (and their laughable lawyer) for 7 months was not what we wanted to do anymore. So, we built a new camper van and made sure that if anything goes wrong, it could easily be replaced. And it’s been GREAT so far. Plus, the peace of mind is priceless. Never having to deal with people like that again is something I’d pay for, lol.

I think having AWD in anything more than a bad dirt road is a must. I’ve been up and down some really bad roads that RWD probably would have left us stuck on... but that’s why I built on the ProMaster chassis, because it’s FWD. It got me through not just horrible mountain climbs and descents on dirt roads, but also a crazy blizzard and ice on backroads after the Grapevine had been closed in Southern California a few months back...

I feel like since a good portion of us Class B/Camper Van folks like to boondocking a little further from society and a little close to nature... FWD or better yet, AWD should be a consideration. A $125,000 Class B Sprinter (RWD) couldn’t (and I’d never risk it) take me to some of the typical places I go.

As a sidenote, the franchise owner of SportsMobile West bragged to me that they are not going to develop a 4 Wheel Drive system for the Transit, that they were just going to wait until Ford brought the European AWD van over here. Considering how UNsmart he was, that was the only intelligent thing he ever said to me. (I definitely have a right to my opinion here, LOL.)

PS: use those down hills… You wouldn’t believe how many miles per gallon you’ll get back if you allow your van to coast, safely, downhill.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Be happy that your SMB has only had propane problems. Most people have worse issues. My entire top failed, from brand new. SMBW refused to fix it, and like many others, we were forced to sell it. It was 7 months old. Fighting with SMBW (and their laughable lawyer) for 7 months was not what we wanted to do anymore. So, we built a new camper van and made sure that if anything goes wrong, it could easily be replaced. And it’s been GREAT so far. Plus, the peace of mind is priceless. Never having to deal with people like that again is something I’d pay for, lol.

I think having AWD in anything more than a bad dirt road is a must. I’ve been up and down some really bad roads that RWD probably would have left us stuck on... but that’s why I built on the ProMaster chassis, because it’s FWD. It got me through not just horrible mountain climbs and descents on dirt roads, but also a crazy blizzard and ice on backroads after the Grapevine had been closed in Southern California a few months back...

I feel like since a good portion of us Class B/Camper Van folks like to boondocking a little further from society and a little close to nature... FWD or better yet, AWD should be a consideration. A $125,000 Class B Sprinter (RWD) couldn’t (and I’d never risk it) take me to some of the typical places I go.

As a sidenote, the franchise owner of SportsMobile West bragged to me that they are not going to develop a 4 Wheel Drive system for the Transit, that they were just going to wait until Ford brought the European AWD van over here. Considering how UNsmart he was, that was the only intelligent thing he ever said to me. (I definitely have a right to my opinion here, LOL.)

PS: use those down hills… You wouldn’t believe how many miles per gallon you’ll get back if you allow your van to coast, safely, downhill.
What failed on your SMB top? I was planning to have SMBW install an electric penthouse top. Should I reconsider? Already put down deposit.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #40

What failed on your SMB top? I was planning to have SMBW install an electric penthouse top. Should I reconsider? Already put down deposit.