Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

Free Mirrors from my 2009 E350

I had a guy side swipe my driver mirror the other night on the way home. It knocked the glass out on the drivers side mirror. I dont know if it can be repaired or glass replaced, couldnt locate my old mirror in traffic!

The Passenger side is in great shape. They are the type with only one peice of glass, no blindspot mirror and they do not extend, but fold both ways.

Power controls work well.

You are welcomed to have both mirrors or just the passenger.

If anybody wants them, you pay shipping costs from 98502.

Thanks to all who have helped me with my van, Maybe I can help someone too!
Attached Thumbnails
20200122_145237.jpg   20180901_160012.jpg  

happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #2

Bummer, but nice offer!

Related story: last summer I was up in the Adirondack Mtns of NY state and we were heading to a canoe put in. The Econoline van pulling the canoe trailer pulled in shortly after we arrived, missing the driver side mirror. The young guy driving the van looked kinda shell shocked. Turns out a large wild turkey flew up from the side of the road into the van and took the mirror clean off and then bounced off the windshield (which surprisingly did not break).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm in the auto/truck glass biz and can say there are several options re: replacing the mirror glass. If that's of any interest let me know and I'll be glad to walk someone through the process.

It would be helpful to see the damaged mirror mounting area.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Here ya go!

Hope this helps.

I ended up buying some used tow/extendable mirrors off an 06 E450 Ambulance. Same guy I bought the Steering Dampner brackets from...
Attached Thumbnails
20200123_085754.jpg   20200123_085811.jpg   20200123_085803.jpg  
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Okay so replacement mirror elements come in two types---first is the OEM replacement which includes the mounting or backing plate--like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-F...53.m1438.l2649

The other less expensive version has you removing the old broken mirror bits, cleaning the backing plate of all remaining adhesive before using a Burco mirror-only mirror piece. A few photos of the pieces involved in that process:

Backing plate with damaged mirror removed, awaiting new glass:

That piece ^^ snaps onto the power motor base:

Personally its best to have the above piece in place with the entire mirror mounted to the van before installing the replacement mirror element. This assumes you're not using the OEM part where the mirror and backing plate come already installed.

(That image shows a backing plate I've prepared and modified to accept a heating element, the squarish holes do not exist in factory original parts.)

That's a quick over view of how the mirrors are built. This replacement process works for both manual and power mirrors. This is aimed at OEM mirrors and not the aftermarket types.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote