Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Roof Rack opinions wanted

All I am in need of a roof rack to haul our 35 lb canoe on top of our 2003 Dodge Sportsmobile pop top.

From searching I see most folks opt for the thule or yakima tracks on rails that are mounted just outside of the canvas.

Due to where we live I usually have shore power/generator power for the van or we are camping during the winter where power isn't needed so I don't think I will ever need the option of mounting solar panels on the roof as I have seen a lot do, or the need to adjust the bases length/width.

What I am wanting to do is install this pop up top bar rack from swagman. Which only requires drilling two holes for each base, instead of multiple holes on the track setup. I will plan to put a slightly over sized aluminium backing plate on the underside of the top to give extra support. It is also much more cost effective than the track options. I have previously installed this same rack setup on my 2003 F-250 camper shell without any issue. This rack also weighs the same or less than what the yakima system would be with all the parts.

Do you all see any issues or have heard of others doing something similar with issues?

https://www.campingworld.com/pop-up-...kaAiyuEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7583.jpg   swag rack 1.jpg   swag rack mounting.jpg  

stx4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
You just have to make sure you drill through outside of where the canvas top attaches. At least on my Ford EB top it tapers down (gets narrower side to side) towards the back. You know your canoe and if those towers are are tall enough to create the necessary clearance.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

I second what DaveB said. I have always used the yakima feet that mount on the side of the penthouse because then you are drilling in under the "eve" of the top where any leaks will stay outside of the penthouse.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I second what DaveB said. I have always used the yakima feet that mount on the side of the penthouse because then you are drilling in under the "eve" of the top where any leaks will stay outside of the penthouse.
Do you have a picture of link to these yakima feet, I don't think I have seen them? Since mine is a dodge it has more square/different sized penthouse fiberglass cap then what I have seen on Ford's. I looked a little last night and it seemed I had more room towards the my rearward mounting area them a lot of the pictures I found on the threads that were describing how to install the rails on ford's.

Thanks for the point of view guys!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

They are called the yakima wide body bracket. Then you use the 1A towers to mount the crossbars. Or any gutter mounting system from Thule or whoever.

https://www.yakima.com/widebody-brackets

PS- the prices on these are a total rip off because you need 2 pairs. But if you can find something similar or make your own, that would be better.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #6

If you decide to go that route, I have a brand new set of Yakima 1A towers, with hi-rise extenders (removable), that you could have for half price.

Plans changed in mid-project and I ended up not needing a roof rack.
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Thanks for opinions everyone. I did some measuring and the swagman should work fine and should let me incorporate the canoe bow roller I'm working on to protect the van while loading it and also make it a little easier.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #8

I got the Swagman rack installed this weekend. Before putting in on I welded a 12" boat trailer keel roller to the rack so that I can load and unload the kayak's or canoe by myself without the danger or scratching up the van with the kayaks keels. Overall I think it came well and it makes loading and unloading a breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
image2 (1).jpg   image3 (1).jpg   image1 (4).jpg   image4 (1).jpg