Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

Garage
Re: covered trailer as SMB tag along

We went through the same things when our kids were growing up. The van got too small, so we got a Class C. I hated driving that thing and also hated dealing with all the plumbing. If the trip included cities, we didn't take it. Then we got a travel trailer. The trailer limited our explorations and required a lot of set up/take down. Finally I gave up and got a minivan. We camped in tents and stayed in motels otherwise.

Now that the kids are gone it's back to a camper van...

Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #12

I like the trailer idea. The van is a tight sardine can on a long trip.
But I don't think you'll have what you want for 2K.

I would base it off of this with a custom enclosure.
AT adventure Trailers. Pricey, spendy... trick!

I do similar with this but it has no shower. Its basically for motorcycles.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #13

Yeah a basic contractor trailer will not hold up. I broke tore up the rubber on the torsion axles on the 1st race trailer (required about $3000 in rebuilding at the factory), broke all the welds at the rear door frame on the 2nd, and the 3rd trailer which I lifted for more clearance had stress cracks where the axle tubes were welded to the frame because stock the trailer had zero bump-travel.

I would look for something more customs built for off-road travel, or at least add air-ride but that costs more than most small trailers:
http://kelderman.com/alko_trailer_air_suspension

With my track record of breaking trailers (list above doesn't include the Weekend Warrior I broke the tongue off), I've made the determination that if I can't find an Arctic Fox / Desert Fox trailer I like, then I will have to build my own.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

From CHP Website:

"You must drive in the right hand lane at all times except:

When passing
Preparing to make a turn
Entering or leaving a highway

On a highway with four or more lanes in each direction, you must use the extreme two right lanes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
As far as I know, and I may be in denial or ignorance here, but in CA the most restrictive trailering law is that you're only allowed drive up to 55mph while towing. In some parts of CA I'd be happy doing 55, but 55 on I5 in the middle of the state? That's a death wish as cars and trucks would be passing you at 75-80mph all day long. I've never had issues towing at 65mph (+/- 5mph) in CA. I just make sure there's always some people going faster than I am.

When towing, I try to stay in the second-to-rightmost lane. Less hassle dealing with merging traffic, and leaves the left lane open for the people travelling at light-speed.

Herb

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Site Team

I prefer to live in a state of denial Ramsey.

Herb
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I just consider it really as a 3rd lane law on a one-way 3 lane road. Trucks stay in the 2nd lane all the time. There is a vague section of the law:
This subdivision does not apply to a driver who must ... drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.
But jump into that 3rd lane on a 3 lane highway when not allowed and watch out.

I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 pulling my 15 foot SMB trailer and the CHP asked how fast I thought I was going and I said 60. He proceeded to chew me out because I was pulling a trailer and have a CDL. It's 55 with a trailer. But on the freeway they will rarely pull you over at 5-10 MPH over the limit even with a trailer. I asked "with that little trailer, come on dude". Then he started on points and from then on it was yes sir, no sir, sorry sir and later down the road...SOB!

Back to the trailer, I've seen some short off road trailers with a pop up tent. Not much room for much else if there is a shower in there...basically you'd have a pull behind bathroom.

Maybe between Pikes Peak and CCV you could come up with a design...probably not cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep trailer picture.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #17

Well, my whole idea here is stealth and security. A pop-up or regular adventure trailer won't really fit the bill. I want to be able to leave this thing parked and loaded, locked up with bikes, generator, cooler, etc. inside and for no one to really know it's contents. No windows, with the only visible sign of camperness being a water heater, shore power plug and water fill.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to do this, but I will if I stay with a RB van for awhile.

I've been trying not to contribute to the passing lane discussions since I drive a rig for a living and have rather strong opinions about it. One example is that I believe in instant and violent death to anyone holding up traffic in the passing lane talking on a cellphone, clueless of their surroundings. Another would be instant and violent death to a truck driver holding up traffic in the passing lane climbing a hill at 55 on a 70 MPH freeway. Another is instant and violent death to an RV driving senior citizen driving an RV on a twisty 2-lane road without the common courtesy to pull off on occasion and let others by.
Anyway, I digress. My opinions on driving in America get rather strong so I'll leave it at that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #18

Right on 86Scotty.
Anyone who carries a cdl (I do) understands that California is the worst for cdl drivers and just pulling a trailer period. Get used to going slow.
Anyone going 70+ mph in the fast lane pulling a trailer is irresponsible anyways.
Commercial drivers know in each state how much mph they can go over their posted limit.
Most cdl drivers are doing 57-59 mph in cal. Its been safe (for me at least) to do 59-62 or 63 and just barely passing semi's with my m/c trailer or 22' travel trailer and not have the CHP look me over. YMMV

Back to trailers LOL, give Micro-Lite a call. They may do a slightly custom floor plan for you.
For the searching I've done, a trailer with a dedicated shower is not on a rough duty chassis.
Gonna be hard to do it on the cheap unless you do the build yourself.
And good suspension usually comes at the expense of height. The AT flatbed I posted above, they are selling their suspension on that trailer. But once again, build a standing height enclosure on a well suspended trailer and it gets tall quick.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Well, my whole idea here is stealth and security. A pop-up or regular adventure trailer won't really fit the bill. I want to be able to leave this thing parked and loaded, locked up with bikes, generator, cooler, etc. inside and for no one to really know it's contents. No windows, with the only visible sign of camperness being a water heater, shore power plug and water fill.

Darn, I thought I found what you're after...guess not

Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #20

Nice! I'll have to pass though unfortunately.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote