Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #121

That's not funny. Hate to see anyone getting towed =bad day. I like the rear bumper and box setup. Do you have generators in there? Maybe you could tell me who makes these pieces. Thanks Jeff.

1998f250convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #122

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Bparker458 - love those stock 18s on your van.

I have a question for you 4x4 (with a 4" lift) guys towing these big trailers. Do you have a sway bar in the rear, if so did you need anything special to install it with the lift, and what other things did you find help while towing.

Thanks!
I just run a "load distribution hitch" with a pair of 1200lb bars for my 20' trailer. February was my first long tow with 33" tires on my 5.4L 4:10 Quigley. Went to LA with an empty trailer then back to Seattle with a new toy .

So glad I went down the van path. Trucks with canopy's have half the utility of a van...

Lyall
Attached Thumbnails
20150519_181819.jpg  
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #123

Garage
Lastblacke350 - thanks for the info, I am going to look into getting one of those as well but figured id start with a rear sway bar and see if that helped.

Not to get off on a tangent, but... I totally agree with you, I went from a lariat loaded 2011 F250 CC 6.7L Deleted and tuned, 50 gal gas tank, Carli suspension, topper.

It was an amazing vehicle, but then we had my son and I realized I wanted more interior space along with the rear bed area and found that the EB Econoline gave me just that. Its so much better being able to access the stuff in the rear and use it to relax..

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #124

Towed my rallycross car up to dirtfish yesterday for some friendly competition.
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #125

Garage
I'm just glad I got the v10 when it comes to heavy loads...

Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I have a question for you 4x4 (with a 4" lift) guys towing these big trailers. Do you have a sway bar in the rear, if so did you need anything special to install it with the lift, and what other things did you find help while towing.
I keep considering adding a rear sway bar, but honestly, it's when I'm not towing that I feel like I want one. With a big trailer back there the rear end just settles down and stays put.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #127

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I keep considering adding a rear sway bar, but honestly, it's when I'm not towing that I feel like I want one. With a big trailer back there the rear end just settles down and stays put.

Oh I am sorry for not updating this, I had a set of Ujoint rear leaf springs put on and it solved my issues. I was getting a ton of axle wrap from the blocks and now my van tows like it should. If I decide to get custom valved shocks for the dampening I bet it would make it even more solid.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #128

Garage
Just to add to this great thread... on longer trips we use this roomy, light, all-aluminum trailer by Camplite. Less than 5000 lbs fully loaded with food water, you name it.

Also tow our sailboat. Just converted it to electric propulsion, adding 300 pounds of batteries for a 48 volt system electric motor. Quiet!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #129

Hooked up our little 1965 Aristocrat camper to the van for the first time Saturday. It doesn't weigh much and my old Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup towed it with no issues. Power wise the van (7.3) doesn't even know it's there.

For the van I installed the trailer brake controller and calibrated, then took a test run around the neighborhood. The trailer seems to be "pitching" front to back a little. I don't recall it doing this with the old tow rig. There is a very slight "nose down" attitude to the trailer with the height of my receiver. Any thoughts from the van towing collective? Worth getting a "taller" hitch to level it out more?

Also, there seems to be something mildly screwy with the wiring for my trailer plug (on the van side) All of the trailer lights light up, but blinkers cause both sides to flash instead of just left or right. Hmmm...

Will add photos later.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoidiot View Post
Hooked up our little 1965 Aristocrat camper to the van for the first time Saturday. It doesn't weigh much and my old Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup towed it with no issues. Power wise the van (7.3) doesn't even know it's there.

For the van I installed the trailer brake controller and calibrated, then took a test run around the neighborhood. The trailer seems to be "pitching" front to back a little. I don't recall it doing this with the old tow rig. There is a very slight "nose down" attitude to the trailer with the height of my receiver. Any thoughts from the van towing collective? Worth getting a "taller" hitch to level it out more?

Also, there seems to be something mildly screwy with the wiring for my trailer plug (on the van side) All of the trailer lights light up, but blinkers cause both sides to flash instead of just left or right. Hmmm...

Will add photos later.
I always like to have the trailer level. Take some measurements and let me know, I've got four or five extra various height ball mounts.

As for brakes, try backing off a little on them to see if that solves the 'pitching' issue.. That trailer is so small you don't really need full brakes on it anyway!

You've confirmed the trailer light issue is on the van side?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote