Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I always like to have the trailer level. Take some measurements and let me know, I've got four or five extra various height ball mounts.

As for brakes, try backing off a little on them to see if that solves the 'pitching' issue.. That trailer is so small you don't really need full brakes on it anyway!

You've confirmed the trailer light issue is on the van side?

I'll take a few measurements tonight and let you know.

I have the brakes set at the lowest level.

The lights all functioned correctly when connected to my old Chevrolet pickup so I am assuming that it is on the van side since that is the only variable that has changed.

motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoidiot View Post
I'll take a few measurements tonight and let you know.

I have the brakes set at the lowest level.

The lights all functioned correctly when connected to my old Chevrolet pickup so I am assuming that it is on the van side since that is the only variable that has changed.
Got a test light? I'd check the van that way, just to confirm. Cause the turn signal issue could well be a bad ground, which could have surfaced sitting in your driveway..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #133

I was thinking the same thing. Possible bad ground, check with a test light.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #134

Garage
Quote:
Hooked up our little 1965 Aristocrat camper to the van for the first time Saturday. It doesn't weigh much and my old Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup towed it with no issues. Power wise the van (7.3) doesn't even know it's there.

For the van I installed the trailer brake controller and calibrated, then took a test run around the neighborhood. The trailer seems to be "pitching" front to back a little. I don't recall it doing this with the old tow rig. There is a very slight "nose down" attitude to the trailer with the height of my receiver. Any thoughts from the van towing collective? Worth getting a "taller" hitch to level it out more?

Also, there seems to be something mildly screwy with the wiring for my trailer plug (on the van side) All of the trailer lights light up, but blinkers cause both sides to flash instead of just left or right. Hmmm...

Will add photos later.

My trailer "pitches" or hobby-horses when one of these two things is true: either the trailer is imbalanced relative to tongue weight (meaning, when there's more weight aft than there should be, which lifts the tongue off the ball) or if the sync or power on my brake controller is too high. I'm guessing your trailer is pretty light, so you won't need much controlling.

Also, trailers always ride better when level. I would invest a few bucks in a higher hitch ball insert. Never can have too many, anyway.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
My trailer "pitches" or hobby-horses when one of these two things is true: either the trailer is imbalanced relative to tongue weight (meaning, when there's more weight aft than there should be, which lifts the tongue off the ball) or if the sync or power on my brake controller is too high. I'm guessing your trailer is pretty light, so you won't need much controlling.

Also, trailers always ride better when level. I would invest a few bucks in a higher hitch ball insert. Never can have too many, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback Otter!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #136

Test light told me that the van was sending all the right signals through the plug. Verified this with a stop at the local trailer shop so they could plug in their tester. Cleaned the grounds on the trailer and it seems to be working. Just dim. Looks like the next trailer project is new wiring. Good enough for the weekend though.

My receiver was a 4" drop. Flipped it over for a 2" rise. The trailer tows better now, but is a little nose high. Planning to pick up a "0" receiver today.

Photos really are forthcoming. (I know, it's a photo thread. Sorry!)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #137

Before you re-wire the trailer, check the ground on the van. Should be near the plug, just trace it back to where it should be securely and cleanly tied to the fame somewhere.

I re-wired half a trailer with the similar symptoms (and with a happy test light). Before finding the bad ground on the van side. I get the impression that the cheap test plugs with LEDs don't need much of a ground.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #138

Fun weekend of camping with the van and the little trailer. Third camping trip with our (now 15 month old) daughter but first with the whole family in the little box. It worked well!

The week before leaving I sorted out the few issues I was having. Turns out a "0" drop hitch was the correct fit to get the trailer level and greatly improve the towing experience. As for the lights, I cleaned the grounds on both the trailer and the van then ran an extra, heavy gauge ground wire directly from the van chassis to the trailer chassis. Problem solved.

The van is "in progress" as shown by the mismatched barn doors. My wife wanted windows for her and the baby in the back seat. A little paint and body work soon. Perhaps some new rear springs as well...

Old 10-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #139

Quote:
The van is "in progress" as shown by the mismatched barn doors. My wife wanted windows for her and the baby in the back seat. A little paint and body work soon. Perhaps some new rear springs as well...

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.
You can barely hear the mighty 7.3 over the banjo music