Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

Re: For Sale: Sienna recliner seats and "MGMW" bases, AZ, $1

Two questions........do these end up at roughly the same height as stock seats?

For newer vans with the pyro, etc, how do you deal with the seat belt and airbag stuff? I see that these seats have seatbelts built in......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

Hi Boywonder,

I don't have stock seats to measure, but there is the photo of the Sienna seats in MG's van (first photo in this thread). Maybe you could get a rough idea from that. And/or MG might know. I'm going to say I think they are around stock height though (because I think he designed the mounts as such). Also, I think there is some adjustabliity via washers under the mounts (for fine-tuning if someone wants them slightly higher or lower).

As far as the pre-tensioner and etc., this is all covered in MG's illustrated instructions (with circles and arrows even ), but in a nutshell, you don't use those Toyota seatbelts, but instead the stock Ford seatbelts and pre-tensioners are used. So the airbag/restraint system stays stock. (The pre-tensioners are mounted to the Sienna seats, which is accounted for in MG's mount design.)

I had the same questions when I was looking at the seats/mounts. I bought the mounts first, so I was able to go to MG's shop, "sit test" the Sienna seats in his van (ahhhh), see how they hooked up to the mounts, and then only after that did I buy the seats to go with the mounts. So yes, backwards, as I had the mounts in hand before I had any seats. (I got the seats shortly thereafter though.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Two questions........do these end up at roughly the same height as stock seats?

For newer vans with the pyro, etc, how do you deal with the seat belt and airbag stuff? I see that these seats have seatbelts built in......
The seating position is designed to be the same height as the ford seats but the Ford seats have way less supportive foam. You don't squish down as far sitting in the Sienna seat. I really tried hard to match the driving position dimensions from the Ford body builders book.

The Ford pre-tensioners attach to the Sienna with a simple modification to the base of the seat. It is covered well in the instructions but, again, if someone wanted more help or more pictures, I'm happy to provide. The seat belts that are integrated in the Sienna seat get detached and/or stuffed inside the upholstery and not used in this conversion. The latches on the Toyota seat don't match the Ford belts. The Toyota belts are also the "get tighter and tighter as you drive" kind so they wouldn't work out very well for a driver's seat anyway.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

A couple of questions:

1. Do these seats have an adjustable lumbar support?
2. My 2014 E-350 is 2wd and has an Action Van lift. Can the driver seat base be made to also swivel since there is not a 4x4 shift lever?
jadeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeblade
A couple of questions:

1. Do these seats have an adjustable lumbar support?
I'm not positive (although I will check), but I don't think they do. That said, I'm a person who likes a lot of lumbar support (I always crank the adjustable ones all the way up, and I had to add an external lumbar pad to my stock Ford van seats which seemed to have a black hole there), and they feel very "lumbar-ey" to me as is. Perhaps MG or someone else who has spent more time "in the saddle" with them will comment. Since these are new, the most I have done is sit in them for ten minutes pretending their leathery goodness was in my future SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeblade
2. My 2014 E-350 is 2wd and has an Action Van lift. Can the driver seat base be made to also swivel since there is not a 4x4 shift lever?
I would say that anything is possible, but that there is no provision to make the driver's side base swivel. In other words, it would be up to you, engineering wise. I asked MG about this, because the (stock Ford) driver's seat in my '97 SMB did swivel, and he said that in modern vans the RCM (restraints control module) is under the driver's seat, so that would be need to be dealt with and he chose not to (and it's not like he shies away from complicated projects...) -- perhaps this is why fewer (none?) modern E-Series driver's seats seem to swivel. Or at least that is my impression. At any rate, that's where the seat bases stand as engineered.

I did swivel the stock Ford driver's seat (in my '97 SMB) sometimes, but not as often as I thought I would. OTOH, I swivelled the passenger one all the time. Turned out I liked having at least one thing on the van ready to go, plus I stowed my backpack there. But then that doesn't mean you'd be the same.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you (and if no-one chimes in on the lumbar I will check on it).

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #16

Thanks Viva,

I'm going to the Toyota dealership today to sit in the Sienna seats and see what I think. Thanks for your help.

Jadeblade
jadeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #17

Love the seats and brackets...looking to install them in my Ujoint E350. Are they still available?
e350vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

FYI - I am new to this forum as a friend just referred me this am. But your rules seem to be limiting my ability to post, PM and I cannot "reply" to the moderators "rejection" emails. So figured I will post this here....

I am an member of

1) expedition portal - e350vegas (50+ posts)
2) MBworld.org - CLKBSvegas (650+ posts)

Hope we can discuss the sale of your seats
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e350vegas
FYI - I am new to this forum as a friend just referred me this am. But your rules seem to be limiting my ability to post, PM and I cannot "reply" to the moderators "rejection" emails. So figured I will post this here....

I am an member of

1) expedition portal - e350vegas (50+ posts)
2) MBworld.org - CLKBSvegas (650+ posts)

Hope we can discuss the sale of your seats
Unfortunately admins might not see a PM sent to them until they log back on to the forum. PM's should go through to any member no matter what your status is but posting to the public board during the first 3 posts by a new member must be approved by a admin. After your third post, you won't be flagged as a new member and you may post as what is allowed in the Forum rules. Simple responses like "PM sent" or "I'd like to have one" and similar many times might be disapproved. Adding a more detailed post or response will usually be approved. Sorry for the confusion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

All good...I totally get it and understand!!!