Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #11

Your lucky day: a top for $1500 on CL in Texas right now

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...548809679.html
BrianW, Thanks, unfortunate for me the top is cracked (easy fix) but can compromise the integrity of the unit unless shipped in a crate, the canvas is missing, and it is in Texas over 1300 miles away for a used top that may or not hold up.
You might check with this guy in La Mirada:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...545070702.html
Longboard, I saw these but I also noticed the doors were missing and it had steps in from the rear with hand rails welded meaning it was an airport shuttle or docks (harbor) personal shuttle. It would put me at the same price as a Fiberine top to fab up my doors to match opening and i do not think the flexing off road would let the doors survive. My full length roof rack, after 16 years has small hairline cracks on the gutter brackets from flex! I am going to check with MSD's contacts and see but I will still be hunting.

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Your lucky day: a top for $1500 on CL in Texas right now

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...548809679.html
BrianW, Thanks, unfortunate for me the top is cracked (easy fix) but can compromise the integrity of the unit unless shipped in a crate, the canvas is missing, and it is in Texas over 1300 miles away for a used top that may or not hold up.
You might check with this guy in La Mirada:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...545070702.html
Longboard, I saw these but I also noticed the doors were missing and it had steps in from the rear with hand rails welded meaning it was an airport shuttle or docks (harbor) personal shuttle. It would put me at the same price as a Fiberine top to fab up my doors to match opening and i do not think the flexing off road would let the doors survive. My full length roof rack, after 16 years has small hairline cracks on the gutter brackets from flex! I am going to check with MSD's contacts and see but I will still be hunting.

Why fab new doors when you can just glass in the cut out to match your van. It could be done over a weekend & $100.00 in materials. If you can get one of those tops for cheap (seams like they are open to offers) you could have a top for $500.00, some labor & materials [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

Sportsmobile West sold me new canvas for my old van for just over $800.

They apparently generally don't do that, as they sell the installation of new canvas for $2200. But they won't install new canvas on a poptop they didn't install...
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
MSD

Garage
Yup sounds about right. I've been told, just as another forum member they won't sell a canvas if you are installing from a donor van to yours.

Pretty sure Eric paid about $980.00 a year or so ago... but again it was a case of we don't do this but we will this time... he can probably elaborate more.

I know is I had $800 in materials for Ben canvas and to do it, I had to buy enough material to make 3 new tops.

Of course I went with a higher quality screen, glass & canvas than SMB. But I wanted it to last... I could have easily gone the cheap route but that's not me...

If you went with cheaper products you may be able to be about $250 in material & about $600 labor to have it sewn up. But you need templates to do this or a good industrial shop that can match canvas to the van.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #15

While I was thinking of reinforcing the roof with runners and plywood glassed in. I did not think of glassing the back cut out up, I will give them a call tomorrow. As far as the canvas I have a commercial grade upholstery sewing machine and a trim one available for me to use. My friend bought them at a garage sale for a couple hundred. My grandmother taught me how to sew and I use to make my kids halloween costumes, a Scottsman with a bagpipe, with a mini recorder playing bag pipe music inside and Amadeus Mozart wig and all, with a baby grand piano on casters, were a few of the costumes. The material would be of better quality available, hence the point in being cheap enough to make it myself. Honestly no disrespect intended but that is why I do not l deal with Sportmobile or companies like them. Quigley was the same I had to go thru an insurance friend to get insurance quote/purchase to buy their 2wd auto Tcase adapter. Ujoint, great guy, never bought any thing but a few years after the conversion I did I saw him advertising his conversions. We exchanged pics, spoke a little and that was it. MG seems like a very supportive member and is willing to help in any manner, and that is what it should be like. I have a guy in Florida that saw my long arm conversion and asked for help, I sent him text and pics and he is just about done. Any one that is truly an off road advocate, and really is for humanity to get out and enjoy the out doors would not behave in this manner. Some times you can see the arogance in the you tube videos that they have, while being proud of your product is good, that is not true out doors people that give you their spare tire to get you home, yes I know because I have done that, remember I am cheap the combo wheel and tire were spare-spares and acquired CHEAP! That is why I choose to do things my self so I can help others do it and if it breaks I do not have to go 1100 miles to get it fixed on warranty and deal with snobish attitude. AGAIN this is my opinion based on years of sitting back and observing.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #16

MSD, Contact info?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #17

I got my poptop from the LKQ pick your part in Oceanside (still not installed though haha). Must have gotten lucky because I have only been there that one time and just happened to see it.

You might have already done this but you can make an account on the LKQ website and get email alerts every time a specific vehicle you are looking for enters the yard. Usually has some pictures and stuff too. Looks like the oceanside one has a midtop van right now but i don't think thats what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
van.jpeg  
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #18

You have probably seen this one, but just in case....
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...533539673.html
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Yup sounds about right. I've been told, just as another forum member they won't sell a canvas if you are installing from a donor van to yours.

Pretty sure Eric paid about $980.00 a year or so ago... but again it was a case of we don't do this but we will this time... he can probably elaborate more.

I know is I had $800 in materials for Ben canvas and to do it, I had to buy enough material to make 3 new tops.

Of course I went with a higher quality screen, glass & canvas than SMB. But I wanted it to last... I could have easily gone the cheap route but that's not me...

If you went with cheaper products you may be able to be about $250 in material & about $600 labor to have it sewn up. But you need templates to do this or a good industrial shop that can match canvas to the van.

Which Eric, Me? I did buy one for Twogone's van a couple years back from Nancy at SMB North (Indiana). She shipped it no problem. I can look up what I paid but it wasn't that much!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #20
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Which Eric, Me? I did buy one for Twogone's van a couple years back from Nancy at SMB North (Indiana). She shipped it no problem. I can look up what I paid but it wasn't that much!

Yup I was talking about you

Think each location varies but think it depends on who you are & who you know [emoji106]

We have a SMB that just came into the shop that will be getting a CCV top & an interior re-do so I'll find out the scoop canvas look good but we'll see what happens after we take it off. Always possible damage with the removal.