Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
For anyone interested I now have in possession 2 (two) Fiberine BRAND new EB 18" tops! I am asking $1200.00 each (regular $3200.00) or I will sell the one if any one wants a used RB step up top for $300.00. I can deliver if reasonable and for fuel cost plus $50.00 for time! The used top is the one pictured on this post!
Interested

Kase3875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #52

You can go to the fiberine website look for the 18in top and that's it it's a fiberine 18. I don't have any pics and I'm out of town to take any.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #53

I looked on the website and I do not see any 18 inch tops only 16,19 and 20 Soon as you get back into town let me know I am also in Riverside
Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #54

I measured tops a few days ago and assumed 18 but the could be 19. I measured the top at mid section. As you can see on yours, the late model E350's bow from front to back so maybe they are 19.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #55

I dm you my # to text
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #56

Quote:

Pro's clam style:
no screw jack cost
no arm, track, springs or bars to deal with
no screw jack wiring issues or battery drain
sufficient head room with rear bed couch floor plan
less canvas exposed to wind and cold resulting in warmer temps inside
able to park with wind/weather at your back

Con's clam style:
awning would need to mount to van metal
potential hinge binding or bolts pulling out due to van flex
loss of head room in back 1/3 if open floor plan

I have a manual SMB top.....You don't need a screw jack to lift it when it's set up correctly.

I have the ability to electrify my top if I was so motivated but I'm not.....manual is just fine by me. That being said, I'm toying with further optimizing the lift mech to get the top more balance throughout the up/down travel and perhaps reduce some friction here and there. Properly set up manual tops are simple and not that hard to lift....and they go up in seconds..electric takes a while, at least the way SMB does it with the Linak actuators.

You've haven't shared how you intend to lift the hinged top....you indeed may still need some springs/track/mech to to it. Are you thinking just gas springs??

As far as wind loading goes, the SMB top can take quite a bit of wind, that's another concern I don't really worry about. Although when the gusts really pick up like 40mph+ I usually put the top down as a precaution.

Quote:
Pro's pop top:
full floor access if open layout
awning attachable to top
360* views

Con's pop top:
hard to lift without power assist
even harder to lift if loaded with kayak surf boards
sketchy if wind blowing even more if top loaded with gear
need power to lift and lower easily
screw jack cost and reliability
arm track, arm and roller maintenance
inconvenience of track and upper bed mounts and obstruction

Owners of each let me know if I have missed any thing?

Of the stuff above for full pop top, other than adjusting springs after adding things to the roof there really isn't any maintenance.

If you want lift either style top with kayaks, rocket boxes on the roof, that will likely be an issue with either design.

The way SMB does the crossbars, the bed width is limited to 39.5". Colorado camper van's mech addresses this issue by having the mech at either end of the top, resulting in a bed width of 50". IMO, the difference between a 39" wide bed and a 50" wide bed is huge...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #57

Thanks for your input boywonder. I appreciate your, always positive outlook and experience. You are an asset to this forum and it's members! I would like, if at all possible meet with you to see the set up maybe take pics.
I plan to use the shorter RB top because I like the gradual rise to it and I can make a short rack/light mount for the 2' front space. The early Econo models roof does not bow from front to back, but I knew that! I was going to shave the middle to fit it. The earlier model, I found out, is also wider at the rear by 3/4-1"! I found that out when I dry fit it! I had decided to scrap it but I changed my mind and I am going to section out 3/8" on each back side since I was going to reinforce the whole top any way for hinges. I will glass in aluminum or marine plywood ribs and glass in stringers to set it up as a clam shell that I can walk on. I will default to the pop top version, if it does not work well. The RB top was only $40-50.00. If that does not work then I'll end up with the 18" Fiberine fixed bubble top to cover my hole. Gas struts for the clam and ? for the pop top! I did see years ago a clam shell style at an RV dealer but that has been years. There is a VW outfit that builds the Westfalia style VW campers "Pop Top Heaven", in Redlands/Yucaipa area that I can visit if I go that route. I'll look at their hinges and see if they will work but reinforce if need be, but first I am looking at some Chevy p/up hood spring hinges. I have a CUCV M1008 I am removing the 36k diesel motor and Hydroboost brake system from and then putting it in my 1970 Scout 80. At least I have a plan how it ends up...?
I want to make it easy for those willing to DIY their own with my project documented so they do not have to deal with bad service and can be proud of their rig (not arrogant)! I have a one guy locally interested in one of the tops so maybe he and I can help each other in this project. If you are ok in letting me look over your set up, by all means P.M. me! If not your comments have already assisted me!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #58

Vanimal, I have a set of Vanagon Westfalia hinges if you want to do some experimenting with them. They would be easy to copy and make a heavier duty set. By changing the geometry slightly you can get more lift at the rear than Westfalia did.

That local guy you mention is my Buddy Casey. We’re all interested in your project.
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #59

Ok COOL! I just text him. The top guy is sick. I am picking up the tops on Tuesday afternoon on my way to work and will have them available to view Wed morning thru the weekend. I told him we can cut the hole here when ever he is ready. I have tools "ARGH ARGH" and room plus my back hoe if need to place his top on if his van is high like mine. You can bring the hinges or give them to him so I can take a look at them. Thanks Kinda cool you both are local maybe we can do some runs. Maybe even Baja again safety in numbers! I see boywonder is in So.Cal too!