Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Hwy 395 ideas?

I've got the blessing for a last minute trip to see the fall foliage on the Eastern Sierras. My basic plan is to visit friends in Carson City and head south. Mammoth, June Lake, Convict Lake, Bodie, etc. the turn around and come back north.
I would love to hear everyone's recommendations on things to see, places to eat, and especially places to camp.
I've got a week and I'll be leaving Saturday or Sunday.

Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

I've never done a Fall 395 trip so can't comment on where to find foliage action. I would suggest making it down as far as Bishop (only 30 mi or so from Convict). Wonderful town plus a great, casual BBQ place right across the street from Schat's Bakery.

Lundy Lake sounds like it would be a great addition to the trip - right off the 395.

There's supposed to be a very high end restaurant I think in Lee Vining or near by but I don't know the name - never been - but maybe someone has that recommendation.

The whole route from Bishop to Carson and beyond is magic.

I would try to camp along the Walker River for a night or two if available.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Please see this thread I started a few years ago. Some good responses from people when I asked more or less the same question.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...5-a-11984.html

Herb
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #4

There's a places to dry camp on the west side of 395, 1-1/2 miles north of the Bodie entrance, it's either National Forest of BLM. Green Creek Rd is your turn, head toward Green Creek Campground. There's lots of fire rings and places to camp after 7 miles in or so. We stayed there one night a couple months ago close to a stand of birch trees. Far enough away from the hwy, but easy enough 20min drive access 8 miles back in. We were the only ones there mid week, visited Bodie and the Mono Lake Tufas (south side of the lake) the next day.

There's a commercial campground on 395 1/4 mile south of Green Creek Rd, as well, but who wants to camp ON 395 w/truck and car noise all night, when you can explore some fire roads?

There's an old dynomo pond back in there somewhere, reported to have housed a generator that supplied Bodie's mines with electricity in the early 1900's
Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

We just got back last night from 2 weeks in Nevada and the Eastern Sierras. Def hit Bishop. Legit brewery and ,of course, Schat's bakery. There's also a great locals bakery about 4 blocks south of Schat's. Head west outta Bishop and check out Sabrina, South and North lakes. The hiking is spectacular and the colors last week amazing. We camped at the furthest in campground towards Sabrina and it was incredible. Tons of camping on that road and on road to South Lake. Heading North on 395 check out Rock Creek canyon, Lundy Lake and Virginia lakes. All about 20 miles apart and all amazing color. The campgrounds are starting to close for the season but there are quite a few of them so you should be fine.

Prob the restaurant you refer to is the Whoa Nellie Deli at the Mobil station just as you turn off 395 towards Tioga Pass. Interesting combination of convenience store, tourist souvenirs and interesting food. If you haven't driven up to Tioga pass take this opportunity. Lots of camping all along that road up to right before you enter Yosemite. There was fresh snow on the peaks all along that part of the Eastern Sierras Monday night but looked like it was going to clear up.

We've driven 395 through there prob 20 times but always in late January or early April so never had hiked any of that country... truly amazing.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Sierras.jpg  
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I'm writing this all down. I'm all in on the dry camping. Food and beer ideas look great also. I've never taken Hwy 120 out of the east exit of Yosemite so I think I'm going to go from 395 up to the park entrance and back.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

Here's a few off the top of my head suggestions, by category:

Breweries: For sure visit Imbib in Reno and Mountain Rambler in Bishop. June Lake Brewery is decent and Mammoth Brewing is pretty good with great food.

Food: The Whoa Nellie Deli is really worth a stop. It's at the gas station at 395/120. The food is pretty good and the outdoor seating ambiance is pretty great. In Bishop I typically eat at Mountain Rambler(great food) and buy baked goods at Great Basin.

Camping: So many good options. There's lots of quiet dirt roads between June Lake and Mammoth, we typically wind up there. The Buttermilk country above Bishop has some good camping but it's often busy. The campgrounds up near North/South Lake and Lake Sabrina will likely be pretty colorful right now. If you're heading up 120 I often camp in the pullout above Tioga Lake. No one seems to care and the early morning light on the lake is not a bad way to wake up.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
Here's a few off the top of my head suggestions, by category:

Breweries: For sure visit Imbib in Reno and Mountain Rambler in Bishop. June Lake Brewery is decent and Mammoth Brewing is pretty good with great food.

Food: The Whoa Nellie Deli is really worth a stop. It's at the gas station at 395/120. The food is pretty good and the outdoor seating ambiance is pretty great. In Bishop I typically eat at Mountain Rambler(great food) and buy baked goods at Great Basin.

Camping: So many good options. There's lots of quiet dirt roads between June Lake and Mammoth, we typically wind up there. The Buttermilk country above Bishop has some good camping but it's often busy. The campgrounds up near North/South Lake and Lake Sabrina will likely be pretty colorful right now. If you're heading up 120 I often camp in the pullout above Tioga Lake. No one seems to care and the early morning light on the lake is not a bad way to wake up.
I second the Whoa Nellie Deli! Food is awesome and great view. We go EVERY TIME we’re close and have never been disappointed!
Old 10-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
I'm not sure when the hunting season closes but it does make finding a seclusive site more difficult when it's open. There are some nice areas around the S/S/O Mono Lake off 120... all non paved easy forest service roads. Trees should be in color about now. There are a few primitive CG's that are usually void of people. Dunderberg Meadows and the Green Springs road are nice drives especially Green Springs along the creek. Another nice 4x4 run is Laurel Lakes but I'm not sure about dispersed camping in there. If you've never seen Yosemite's high back country, I'd suggest driving to at least Tuolumne Meadows and if you have the time, drive to Olmsted Point just past Tenaya Lake. If you don't want to enter the Park, a drive to Saddlebag Lake is nice but might already be closed this late in the year. As mentioned Lundy Lake produces some great fall season colors.

Enjoy your trip and please post back a few pics.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Alabama Hills:

https://www.blm.gov/visit/alabama-hills

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Hills
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote