Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #31

I agree with keeping it quiet as possible without the general public knowing.,I enjoy the stealth. I haven't added any "bling" such as 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires or aluminess items to draw attention yet!. But for now my rig is slightly above avg condition and draws a little attention to those in the know. It usually catches an eye when I fire up the 7.3 or turn the headlights on (trucklite led)...
I've had no negative interactions as of yet and hope none in the future. But that's where the. 45acp steps in hehe.
I have all the amenities that I desire for now. When an a/c unit can be run from a modest solar system I'd like to iinstall, but we are years away from that, sadly.
As for the pretty women in the #van life pictures, yeah... it's not that far fetched! I've met a few hotties, hung with some and even shared my shower with them "to save water, ha!

I might do an interior rebuild in the fall, it's too hot til then and I don't have the down time to spare atm.
I'm just rambling, sorry.

At 46 years old I'm still young enough to do as I please, I'd rather take time now Rather then later when I'm falling apart from age. I was going to say a crotchety old man, but I've already become that lol

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #32

Rock climbers discovered van living in the 90's, in Yosemite above all. Rock climbing has become too popular, too.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #33

More press about the joys of vanlife:

Camper vans, simpler and sleeker than RVs, gain popularity - SFGate
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #34

This is hysterical ,this is THE best forum on the web and has kept me away from depressing FB, thank you, you guys are the best. I'm working on a bio, will post soon. Vivavanvida!
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #35

There are so many homeless people living in vans all over Portland now. A lot of them have so many things bungee corded all over them. From a photo journalism perspective, I think it would be cool to do a photo exposé of some of them and post the pics on Instagram of "real van life" just to contrast these beautiful people living the dream theme.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
There are so many homeless people living in vans all over Portland now. A lot of them have so many things bungee corded all over them. From a photo journalism perspective, I think it would be cool to do a photo exposé of some of them and post the pics on Instagram of "real van life" just to contrast these beautiful people living the dream theme.
Yes, while the girl in the bikini works on IG, I'd rather not see most of the #vanlife folks living in San Francisco in their bathing suits..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #37

I #vanlifed for a summer solo and a summer with my wife back in the late 90's, early 2000's. We had a blast. But it was a blast encouraged by the knowledge that when the trip ended, we had a home and a non-folding bed to go back to. Today, for me, having a van is about taking the kids camping and having a mobile office. The below #vanlife vid about sums everything up. It's absolutely hilarious. Trust me.

https://vimeo.com/75264472

Got interviewed for this piece on Adventure Journal awhile back. Some good perspectives from van folks here.
https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...van-ownership/
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixoncj View Post
Got interviewed for this piece on Adventure Journal awhile back. Some good perspectives from van folks here.
https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...van-ownership/
Great stuff Chris. Sounds like you're a 'lifer' like a lot of us here. The guy in the comments arguing the 'better' choice of a pop up truck camper is smokin' something. Getting out to go to the back? Popping up just to get in there and use the kitchen/bathroom/whatever? He'll come around. Sure, some people need a truck and sure, I'm a little biased, but I don't see how a pickup with a truck camper compares in any way to an offroad capable van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Great stuff Chris. Sounds like you're a 'lifer' like a lot of us here. The guy in the comments arguing the 'better' choice of a pop up truck camper is smokin' something. Getting out to go to the back? Popping up just to get in there and use the kitchen/bathroom/whatever? He'll come around. Sure, some people need a truck and sure, I'm a little biased, but I don't see how a pickup with a truck camper compares in any way to an offroad capable van.

I've owned two Syncros and built out JBuffett's Sportsmobiles (still drive his Calfornia one regularly when out west) so I'd have to agree with you. And what do you do with a pickup truck camper if you have to make a quick getaway?

FWIW, it's no Syncro but I'm very pleasantly surprised how well my 03 Eurovan Winnie does in mild offroading and sand with a mild lift, Gowesty Fox Shock setup, Geolanders and its electronic locking diff on the front wheel drive system. The thing is just superbly confident on the highway too. I almost went with a SMB when deciding to part with my Westy, but the deal I got on the EVC was just too sweet to pass up. So far so good!
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage
The guy who said "Vans are the emotional choice"

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote