Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #1

New to Me SMB Express

So I sold my 4x4 E350EB with the CCV top to my buddy- and I haven't heard the end of it yet from my wife and kids...
Soo- I had been lurking around until I found this new girl in WV. She needs some work, but a solid platform to work off of.
08 Express EB w/6.0 gasser and factory Quigleys independent front end with a SMB top installed in AZ.
The top was leaking and the original interior had been torn out and the new started back when I purchased it. I realized quickly that the work that had been done was not to my standards, so I am currently still removing and reworking what we will have for the interior.
SO FAR-
I've ordered about 8k worth of parts and they are slowly rolling in and the project really getting going. New 3" lift, new tires/wheels, bumpers and steps, lights, awnning, fridge, air fryer, invertor, dinnette, and more!
-1st thing I did was find the leak on the top, removed all the old racks and hardware, replaced it all with new Stainless bolts and re-fiberglassed 80% of the top. It's now time to sand it out and install the new RV ceiling coating to be done.
-Then I installed new thermal insulation up top and new lighting in the top.
-Next is working out the cabinets, final design is done(in my head) now just putting it together,so far so good.
-I went with propane fridge this time. Learned after 2 dc fridges on my last one that they don't work well.. Installed 5.5 propane tank on the underside.
-Lots more happening but for now- here is a few picsw..
Attached Thumbnails
AFPE7289.JPG  

Old 03-19-2024, 11:43 AM   #2

Looks interesting - but just one pic - thirsty for more - and especially the build details !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:48 PM   #3

I can't get the others to load for some reason.. I'll get more time soon to do a proper write up, now I'm in deep on research and parts sourcing!

It's a solid van from GA originally-no rust just turned 200k with a new trans. True 3500 extended van, rides WAY better than my old E350..

I learned a ton on my last build out, hoping this one will even turn out better than the last. Few things right away I notice- the SMB tops are not nearly as good as the CCV tops!! I miss my CCV! These tops are lightweight and not nearly what the Colorado Camper vans are! I was scared to walk on it until I did a full re-inforcement of the top. Here we are a gallon later of fiberglass filler and bunch of sanding, ready to go inside.
I'm doing this one with a dinnette setup- last one was done like a RB50. Thinking the room with the table out and the option for using the rear doors will be a benefit. Also my kids are getting bigger, they struggled on the jack knife sofa, so they get a 48"x65" rear bed this time. Also gives each of them thier own car seat for the ride!
Also not going solar on this one. I didn;t find the plusses from the last setup. A lot of $$ for little output. This time it's btter batts and propane..
I'm building all the cabs out of rough sawn timber w/ live edge tops. Almost done, next is the plumbing/wiring trim out. Once all that is done I will finish with the flooring.
BUT- what I've been waiting for, the lift is going on starting Thursday!! New 285's, custom bumpers, side steps, spare tire all being installed next 2 weeks-can't wait to see how it turns out!
Attached Thumbnails
EOSH5366.JPG   van3.jpg   Screenshot 2024-02-28 110233.jpg  
Old 03-19-2024, 01:43 PM   #4

Garage
Cool. Sounds like you have things well in hand.

Who is doing the lift?
Old 03-19-2024, 07:09 PM   #5

Garage
Good stuff Killingtime!
Reach out if you need anything...I'm just North of you in Annapolis MD.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:48 AM   #6

looks good, congrats!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:47 AM   #7

Well I have been hard at work on this thing, forgot how much it really takes!
Finished roling the ceiling with insulation wrap, retaped all the seems, rubber coated the roof with RV magic. Then finished up the cabinets minus the tops and stain. Fridge and convection oven/air fryer in place with exterior duct that I have a small 12v fan/damper on the way for. I think it turned out well, still needs minor button ups but on to the next big task- the wiring.A/C side is pretty much done, on to the DC..
I have indenified where everything is going, and started wiring things in this direction. I got a Renogy 3000w invertor/charger thier DC/DC charger from the alt, and a 200AH Renogy batt for the DC side. I have removed the spare tire and built a bracket to be the home of the battery. The invertor will be on the inside wall of my cabinet w/vents.
Been waiting for my bumpers to arrive before going into the shop for the major overhaul, finally got notice they are in transit! So thinking next week it will be at the shop getting the floor full of goodies installed..
Still have a ton to do- new Fiamma 45 on the floor, ladder, rocker steps, finalize the propane plumbing, install final floor and ceiling once all the work is done! Hoping another month and shes ready for the trails!
Attached Thumbnails
bench.jpg   bench 2.jpg   sink.jpg   fridge.jpg  
Old 03-30-2024, 09:12 AM   #8

Where did you source the dinette setup from? Looks nice.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:08 AM   #9

They came from Johnsons surplus- I have gotten a few things there, good prices, fair shipping..
https://johnsonssurplus.com/

Van is finally at the shop getting a face lift- when she comes back should be a different van. Fingers crossed it all turns out like the picture in my head
Waiting on my Z brackets to mount the awning, and still need to do the floor- but getting there!
Should be ready to camp by the end of the month
Old 04-23-2024, 07:35 AM   #10

Hard At Work

So things have slowed down with spring gobbler season, bass spawn, and cobia season about to start, BUT I have been getting things checked off the list.
The Quigleys system makes it a PIA to lift! After several returns, I finally got the correct parts to makes it happen.
TTX upper control arm for lifted 2wd, Suspension max adjustable torsion keys, change the shock mounts, and of course some custom cutting wheel action to make the new 285's fit up front.
The rear, I went with all spring-I hate a block.. So another 2 leafs and a helper spring on the bottom got me 3.5".
I think it looks about how it should- level, no rubbing.

Move bumpers-- NOTE: if you get these, allow PLENTY of time to build them! I have probably 20+ hours in the 2 bumpers, they are finally off now for the final coat of Raptor liner. The lok good and are good quality, but they take time!

Got the rear spare mounted and the ladder holes are drilled, just ran out of stainless bolts to mount this weekend. The rocker steps are mounted, had to get custom to go around the propane tank, but all is is and working..Still have the awning to go on once bumpers are ready for final install.
FEW PICS- Not as big as my old E350- drives far better!
Attached Thumbnails
XJEZ7150.jpg   KWQF2026.jpg   IMG_4788.jpg   IMG_4800.jpg   IMG_4782.jpg