Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #21

Nothing on the market for that swap. Cardboard templates for the engine mounts. The crank harmonic balancer was the same diameter as the oem 440 unit so I made a saddle for it and used that to aim the hemi. Eventually the driveline moved right 1-1/4 inch with the bellhousing staying in the same front to back position.

Finally got it out for a few miles. Overdrive and modern fuel management in a 9500 lb hot rod netted 10.5 mpg. Up from 7 mpg factory.

Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Nothing on the market for that swap. Cardboard templates for the engine mounts. The crank harmonic balancer was the same diameter as the oem 440 unit so I made a saddle for it and used that to aim the hemi. Eventually the driveline moved right 1-1/4 inch with the bellhousing staying in the same front to back position.

Finally got it out for a few miles. Overdrive and modern fuel management in a 9500 lb hot rod netted 10.5 mpg. Up from 7 mpg factory.
When I first got my Broughm used in 1995 (65K miles) it only got 5.4 mpg. I put a Jacobs aftermarket ignition on it and it got about 7 MPG but then later the fuel vapor lock started to happen when I left the coast of CA. It only has 79K miles now and runs well save for the vapor lock problem which is worse now in AZ.

What year/size Hemi did you use? 5.7L ?

I always liked the looks of my 81 Broughm (on 1979 440 chassis )

If you would be willing to share some info I might get on the lookout for a copart wreck/doner vehicle.

This one is a 5.7L 4X4

https://www.copart.com/lot/77674373/...-st-tx-houston
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8088.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Drop it off. I have the solution.
Unfortunately I'm in Tuscon.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:17 PM   #24

I bought a 2007 Aspen for its 5.7 It had 125,000 miles on it. Cost $1500.

I like the smooth, streamlined look of your 1979 Brougham.

Happy to share any info you like. I put the whole build online.

I also have a spreadsheet listing every part.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
I bought a 2007 Aspen for its 5.7 It had 125,000 miles on it. Cost $1500.

I like the smooth, streamlined look of your 1979 Brougham.

Happy to share any info you like. I put the whole build online.

I also have a spreadsheet listing every part.
I found your build thread here using a google search.

https://www.truckconversion.net/foru...43/index6.html

Between the two doner vehicles (Aspen 5.7L, and A518 overdrive), the trans rebuild, and the electrical harness you are probably into this by $6K not counting all the other miscellaneous. You still had to deal with an electric EFI fuel pump with return (my other option was about $3K into EFI for the 440)

I assume you used the A518 (46RH??) because it was a more reliable (rebuilt) option than the Aspen Trans (which can come as a 5-speed). The 46RH is not electric so presumably an easier install.

With the cost of the electrical, I am wondering if it would not be just as easy (and cheaper) to isolate all the engine/trans controls of the Aspen and move that harness to the Dodge with appropriate harness extensions. You might have to run that harness between the Aspen and the Dodge a few times for fit but you would always have a testbed for the harness on the Aspen.

You would then retain all the OBDII diagnostics of the 2007 Aspen and an essentially stock electrical harness per the factory service manual. I have never done this before. The closest I have come is tearing a rear harness out from cab to taillights to add rear speakers to my 2011 E-350.

Did you use the stock Aspen ECU?

Also I wonder what the difference is between a Truck transmission in the 2007 year range for a 5.7L? Would it be the same transmission?

I would even look at trying to adapt the newer dash to the Dodge RV.

This guy is doing some crazy stuff like putting an old pickup on a mid 1990's chassis complete with dash frame and complete running gear.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:10 AM   #26

Happy New Year all,

The hemi powered Cubicle sits on the driveway awaiting warmer days.

I've attached a US$ PDF spreadsheet of the costs to do this swap. I'm at $7700.00 I note there is no value given for the A518/46RH transmission itself. I pulled it out of my 4x4 van and had a transmission shop change the output shaft and tailhousing. The costs are divided up by the sections Chrysler uses in their factory shop manuals.

I chose to do the full hemi swap rather than add fuel injection and overdrive to the Cubicle because the cost of the reno exceeded half the "build" (swap) cost.

The reno would have left me with an ancient AC compressor, cracking exhaust manifolds, overheated cab, single alternator, and the ever present "no catalytic converter" smell. Those items plus having to tune the new FI setup lead to the fuel swap.

I used the A518/46RH transmission instead of the 545 that came in the Aspen strictly because I already owned a recently rebuilt 518 and the 545 had 127K miles on it. I did have Hotwire include the wiring for the 545 in their wiring harness build in case I want to use that transmission in the future. Also 2wd 545 tailhousings are hard to find around here. Plus I owned all the parts for the 518 4wd to 2wd swap. The PCM was programmed as if the Cubicle had a manual trans. To go back to a 545 means a reprogram, but all the wiring is there. I put the 545 harness and connector in a sealed bag on top of the engine.

I contemplated using the Aspen wiring harness, but gave up after trying to get some of the connectors apart; even with the correct tools. The plugs were almost welded together and I broke a few. Our environment is brutal on under hood plastic and wiring. Hotwire was the most expensive harness, but in the end excellent value as they customized the length and got it done fast. If my next swap offers more time I may take a shot at the harness.

It sure was easy to hook up the harness to the engine on an engine stand, drop a fuel pump in a bucket of fuel, add a battery and prove the whole mess would run BEFORE I pulled the factory 440.

I run a bluetooth OBDII dongle on the Hotwire harness. I kept the factory senders for oil and coolant, but added gauges for both and vacuum. The dongle advised me the engine had a misfire on the front cylinders after I fired it up. Made sense as the fuel injection rails had air in them and are fed from the rear of the engine. It's amazing to live stream from the motor. It also made the electric cooling fan setup easy.

Stock Aspen PCM was reworked by Hotwire. I run catalytic converters to reduce the stink. I also keep the EGR working as the early Gen 3 hemis had valve seat issues related to overheating. I'm keeping the cylinder heads at the low end of their operating range. 192* thermostat keeps it at 194* rolling down the road.

Same 545 transmission as the trucks. I believe the hemi Jeeps used the NAG1 car style transmission. They did get the sexy aluminum oil pan while I got the stamped steel fossil that the trucks got.

Further work will depend, as always when working outdoors on an oversize vehicle, on weather. I need to add an AC condenser, computer cruise control, and get the dealer air AC evaporator to sit 1/2" higher in the dash as it is jamming the dog house below from a perfect seal against the firewall.

All in all it is a blast to drive. Slightly louder exhaust, 4.10 gears, sharp shifts, and a hemi growl. Lots of fun.

I'm up to almost 23,000 hits on the truck conversion forum. No one else posts there and nobody becomes a member to add comments so I have no idea who is ratcheting up the hits. If it's a member here let me know.

Leggs got me the license plate frame. We hope to see you on the road.

Be well.

G.
Attached Thumbnails
Hemi Cubicle license plate frame.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US$ hemi swap cost.pdf (319.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:16 AM   #27

Hi.

Dropped in to AZ on my first run with the hemi.

Somehow a Toyota parked in the hemi-only lot.

Stopped at gas station in New Mexico and a guy from Washington state came up to say hi. He recognized the Cubicle from my online build write up and the license plate frame. Small world!
Attached Thumbnails
20240306_123356.jpg  
Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:29 PM   #28

Quote:
He recognized the Cubicle from my online build write up and the license plate frame. Small world!

Yes it can be

Glad to see you on the road enjoying all the hard work.