Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #21

Yes, I'm doing it solo. They tell me it's not a great idea but I pretty much always go solo.

-- Geoff

Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #22

It's easier to agree with yourself on where to go and what to do when solo!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
It's easier to agree with yourself on where to go and what to do when solo!
Soooo true! You've nailed it.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Yes, I'm doing it solo. They tell me it's not a great idea but I pretty much always go solo.

-- Geoff
You'll die out there! I mean, what if you got horribly stuck in some mud flats or broke a leaf spring or something?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:

-- Geoff
You certainly come across as a free spirit bent on adventure...good for you!

Would suspect you've already mulled over the possibility of some sort of mechanical failure in a remote location, and consequently travel with some variation of GPS/Satellite communication for emergency situations - like Garmin inReach or Rino - correct???
Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Would suspect you've already mulled over the possibility of some sort of mechanical failure in a remote location, and consequently travel with some variation of GPS/Satellite communication for emergency situations - like Garmin inReach or Rino - correct???
Yes, definitely. I got a SPOT a decade ago and added an Inmarsat satellite phone four years ago. I check in regularly. These days I'd probably go with the Garmin/Delorme Inreach instead.

I'm still healthy physically fit and ready to walk or bike out. Someday I'll have to. I always keep in mind how long that would take and how I would carry enough water. I take fewer risks when I'm more than a day's walk from the nearest regularly traveled road.

-- Geoff
Old 04-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Bouncing around northeast Baja

I think SteveW asked a while back what kind of folding electric fat tire bike that was, didn’t get the brand name on that in your reply. I was curious myself as we want a pair(or 3) and I’ve been doing a bit of research. Correct me if I’m wrong Geoff, I think it’s the Rad Power RadMini, a Co. out of Seattle that does direct sales, so cuts out the retailers and priced accordingly, gets great reviews. They’ve made some changes to the 2018 model but I think it’s the one I want to get. Any update on it now that you’ve had it for a bit?

BTW-Great report, need to explore some of these areas next time I’m in Baja, don’t think I’d be allowed nor would I have the balls big enough to do it solo though.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #28

electric fat bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I think SteveW asked a while back what kind of folding electric fat tire bike that was, didn’t get the brand name on that in your reply. I was curious myself as we want a pair(or 3) and I’ve been doing a bit of research. Correct me if I’m wrong Geoff, I think it’s the Rad Power RadMini, a Co. out of Seattle that does direct sales, so cuts out the retailers and priced accordingly, gets great reviews. They’ve made some changes to the 2018 model but I think it’s the one I want to get. Any update on it now that you’ve had it for a bit?
Hi, yeah, sorry I missed that question about the fat bike brand….

Yes, you're right - it's a 2017 Rad Power RadMini I bought here in Seattle. You can’t see the logos because I’m secretly vain about aesthetics I carefully painted over all the bright orange letters with matching semi-gloss black paint.

I like it. I don’t necessarily have any reason to think it’s significantly better than the others I found Googling up “electric folding fat bike” (Addmotor MOTAN M-150, Voltbike Mariner, VeeGo, Moar), but Rad Power is here in Seattle and I like the idea of being able to go to someone in person if something goes wrong. And I could test-ride it.

The 2018 model of the RadMini adds front suspension, which I wasn’t happy about because it makes the bike significantly larger – it’s wider when folded up. And with the fat tires I don’t see a front suspension being necessary – the fat front tire eats up bumps nicely just the way it is. When I went in to Rad Power Bikes to buy the bike, I was told they still had some 2017 models still in stock (no front suspension) and they offered to sell me one for $500 off. SOLD!! The 2018 does have some other minor improvements, such as a more precise crank sensor for determining when to start powering up when pedaling happens.

I’ve long dreamed of bringing some kind of little dirt motorbike with me on trips so I could do little excursions from my base camp without always dragging the big van around. But I don’t like the idea of a heavy item attached to the rear of the van when I’m bouncing around on rough roads. Just that rear-mounted spare tire is tricky enough to maintain.

Because the e-bike is inside my van, it also stays clean, and doesn’t get scratched up by the all the things I back into.

Also, Mexico only lets tourists bring in one vehicle per person (I travel solo), but the e-bike doesn’t count. [EDIT: this one vehicle per person stuff is incorrect -G]

The e-bike is a decent compromise. It certainly doesn’t have the power of a motorcycle. (It’s just one horsepower.) It doesn’t even have enough torque to spin-out the rear wheel in soft sand. But it’s so much better than pedaling. It can go up reasonable hills, and go in all but the softest sand. It goes 20 MPH on pavement for a claimed range of ~40 miles with full tire pressure (~20 PSI), and I got 13 MPH and 10 miles range when aired down (9 PSI) riding on soft stuff.

I’ve taken it up canyon washes that would normally require hiking, lifting it over a few big rocks here and there and riding the sandy stretches in between.

I knew I was asking for trouble, but I decided to try riding it stock in Baja, and quickly popped my front tube with a cactus spine. This was fixed with a can of fix-a-flat, and I added tube protectors to both wheels. I’m told removing the rear wheel is difficult, so you don’t want to have to replace the rear tube.

It fits nicely in my van with the rear lower bed removed. (I sleep upstairs). It won’t fit underneath with the bed platform left in place. It’s a bit heavy and awkward – even with the battery removed. It’s just about at upper the limit of what I can reasonably lift all by myself from the ground up into my van without hurting myself.

customizations:
-- Geoff
Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Great, good info. There is the option to lockout the front suspension on the 2018’s, but it does still add to the bulk.

Quote:

Also, Mexico only lets tourists bring in one vehicle per person (I travel solo), but the e-bike doesn’t count.

Wait...what? That can’t be right, what about everyone bringing dirt bikes down, or towing jeeps or off road toys?....and don’t forget about the races, not only towing the race vehicles but some of those teams have RZR’s, dirt bikes, quads.....

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #30

Yes, we often truck motos into BC via Tecate, no problem. Just need show proof of moto ownership at the crossing check point.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote