Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2023, 12:55 AM   #1

Front Coil Springs Again

So i know i have read several posts of various people enquiring about which front coil springs to use on the front of their 4x4 van. I did a forum search but for whatever reason cant find a post specifically on this topic alone. Im guessing what i have read in the past is mixed in under a different topic heading or something.

Anyway, i have driven my Chinook enough now to know i want slightly stiffer springs on the front. Its just to bouncy with the OEM Ford springs which i purchased new based on the vehicle VIN when i installed the front axle.

Would someone mind rehashing this topic with me so i can figure out which springs i need to get to take some of this bounce out? I have new bilstein shocks up front. I had a chart once that showed the different MOOG springs but when my external hard drive crapped out i lost all of my van related pictures, charts, PDF files, and other 4x4 van specific information.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 05:04 AM   #2

Moog CC880S is what I put on my Quigley recently and what I put on the last MG conversion I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 05:58 AM   #3

I assume your Chinook has the v10? If you have the 5.4, consider the cc880 (non S…..sold now as a precision spring SP08189), but since you said you want stiffer, the 880s linked previously is a good choice. I have all the moog spring data. PM me your email address and I will send you the spreadsheet.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Moog CC880S is what I put on my Quigley recently and what I put on the last MG conversion I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How do you feel about the ride quality with that spring Scotty?
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
How do you feel about the ride quality with that spring Scotty?
I love it but I did it at the same time as custom tuned Fox shocks from Agile (RIP kit) so I couldn't tell you how just the spring changes things. I can tell you though that the stock Quigley straight rate spring is awful and every Q can benefit greatly from the RIP kit. I'm not sure if that is of any help to you.

It's still quite obviously a 4wd van with a firm front end but off road it drives fantastic.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #6

https://www.valleyspringworks.com/
For anyone interested the above link can spin any coil for you by model, manufacturer, and motor size or if you desire vehicle axle corner weight and lift desired. They turned mine off specs back in 2003 and still strong with 155k miles.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 01:50 PM   #7

Another vote for the CC880S on a Quigley V10. Even though I haven't upgraded the shocks, the springs alone were a huge improvement. I don't know how pertinent this is to a Chinook though.

Here's a related thread you may find useful.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Anyway, i have driven my Chinook enough now to know i want slightly stiffer springs on the front. Its just to bouncy with the OEM Ford springs which i purchased new based on the vehicle VIN when i installed the front axle.

Bounce is controlled by shock absorber dampening more than spring weight. Springs compress and absorb the force exerted on the van when hitting bumps, but with out adequate shock dampening, that force is instantly released causing the spring to rapidly return (bounce) to its previous length. Rebound dampening controls how fast the spring returns to its normal length. I’d suggest you need more rebound dampening to control the bounce. A set of tuned Fox’s will make a huge difference. Spring rate should be determined by the wheel weight it needs to support to give a correct ride height. A progressive spring(softer in the beginning of its travel) will give a more compliant ride in the beginning of its travel, then it gets progressively stiffer as it approaches full compression.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:51 PM   #9

All good Info. 1 minor detail, it's "damping" not "dampening"
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:37 PM   #10

I'll also add that Caster is pretty important to address. For some reason Quigley set mine up with 2 degrees of caster. So while new springs (Moog 880) were an improvement over the HD springs they installed, it still rides like a tank. I try to avoid Concrete highways because you feel every gap.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote