Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2023, 05:38 PM   #1

Front fender antenna mounts

I've done a bit of searching with no luck, so I figured I'd asked here...
I'm looking to add two antenna mounts, right and left for ham and cb antennas and I want to us a typical front fender mount style that bolts under the hood and fits between the fender and hood.
I'm having zero luck finding anything E-350 specific, which is kinda surprising considering how many of these end up in commercial duty of some kind.
Worst case scenario, I'll fabricate them myself to get what I want, but it would be so much easier to just buy them premade.
Thanks!

(I've looked at the Vantage Optics hood hinge mounts, and they're too small for an NMO style antenna base)

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:51 PM   #2

This is what I used for a cb antenna, but not sure if it will support your style of antenna.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...-antenna-mount
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:03 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
...I've looked at the Vantage Optics hood hinge mounts, and they're too small for an NMO style antenna base
Little out of my league here, but I have a set of the Vantage Optics hood mounts (with the optional extra brace) and they are extremely well made - seems to me the hardest part of fabricating something along these lines would be making the plate with properly spaced hood hinge holes, and the correct spacing/angle of the support neck. So, maybe get a set from Scott and have a local fab shop build upon them to accommodate your antenna base???
Old 08-19-2023, 07:34 PM   #4

I'm I'm absolutely planing on a set of these for lights.
I considered them for antenna use, but both of my antennas (11 meter and dual band) are NMO based and the mounting surface is too small for the hole requires of a NMO base.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:56 PM   #5

I have two mounts bolted to the fender and use NMO mount. Will take a photo of them tomorrow and post it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:33 PM   #6

I made my own, starting with Simpson strong ties brackets. They have lots of different configurations and I got a couple that were close and rebent them a bit in a vice and then used a hole saw to to make the NMO size hole. I made a cardboard template and once I got the way I wanted it I transferred it to the steel. Photos tomorrow…
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #7

I got the Z brackets from Ham Radio Outlet. They have several different kinds and lengths. They are stainless steel.

Drivers side with hood closed.

Passenger side is bent from driving through some bushes on the Arizona Strip.

Passenger and drivers side brackets are attached to fender bolt.

I put some leveling spacers under each bracket. The leveling spacers were made from some strut nuts with the spring removed. I used a bench grinder to taper them.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #8

Modified Simpson strong tie brackets from Home depo
Attached Thumbnails
A34BC25E-EFB0-4817-8F8B-E30D5D4971FB.jpg   C3810C5A-B0FF-4FD7-B6D3-E27AC61AE6BD.jpg   6215FC42-E768-4661-AFFD-2C94853A734A.jpg   631F8C3B-DAB7-494A-ACA4-657AEB8815CF.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #9

Lots of good ideas guys.
It's looking like I'll just buy a pair of long Z style mounts and mod them for my use.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:20 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
Lots of good ideas guys.
It's looking like I'll just buy a pair of long Z style mounts and mod them for my use.

Thank you for the replies.
One final note on this topic....the antenna does matter depending on the mounting area and style used. Mounting away from a large flat roof area you'll need an antenna specific for "no ground plane" use.

I used an NMO mount and drilled a hole in the roof right above the front to rear headliner split and it's been awesome for the last 6 years or so for me with very low SWR using a Yaesu FTM-400XDR ham. The only other issue is the 5/8 wave antenna I run does add about 4 feet to the top of the van but the performance is worth it to me.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote