Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #21

Re: Jacks/Airbag, Recovery Gear and Tire kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I never thought a highlift jack had its place till CellularSteve showed me wrong. Now I carry one.
Hi-Lift in action. cellularsteve and daveb last year:

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #22
Site Team

Steve:

That looks like manual labor. I try to avoid that at all costs. I'd rather the airbag get exhausted instead of me.

Mac
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #23

My experience with Air Bags (three different ones ) has been less than stellar !!! Unless an object free relative flat surface is provided ( Sand , Mud , Level Hardpan ) you will not be happy
The cumbersome Hi Lift 60" model has been the single best tool that I have ever carried on the numerous Off Road Vehicles , and if you purchase the additional accessories and learn how to use it correctly you will be hard pressed to find a more useful tool . Incidently I previously posted the following web sight information for the T Lift accessory and wonder if any of you had a chance to try it yet . I have not purchased or tried one yet but now will do so after reminding myself with this Post . http://www.tliftonline.com
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Steve:

That looks like manual labor. I try to avoid that at all costs. I'd rather the airbag get exhausted instead of me.

Mac
No joke.
It is actually very difficult to lift the van due to the weight. Dave and I are big guys and at one point we were both pushing on the lever. I need to get a piece of pipe to get more leverage.
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Steve:

Mac
Well Mac,

Look at that picture of the Dodge sunk up to the axle. Then ask yourself: Would I rather crawl on all fours with a shovel to make room to place the air jack under it OR would I like to work from above with a Hi Lift jack?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
Site Team

Personally, I'd rather call AAA and let them crawl under my van in the mud. But, just in case, I guess I'd better get a Hi-Lift jack, too, and then attend a class to learn how to use it properly. Then I need to go to the gym and workout so I will have the muscle strength to work the lever. Guess since I bought the Sportsmobile to go off-road where few people go, I'd better learn to become self-sufficient when it comes to flat tires and vehicle break downs.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #27

Mac, you're going to need a bigger trailer!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather call AAA and let them crawl under my van in the mud. But, just in case, I guess I'd better get a Hi-Lift jack, too, and then attend a class to learn how to use it properly. Then I need to go to the gym and workout so I will have the muscle strength to work the lever. Guess since I bought the Sportsmobile to go off-road where few people go, I'd better learn to become self-sufficient when it comes to flat tires and vehicle break downs.
Then at least you will spend money on yourself and not the van. Thats kinda keeping your promise.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather call AAA and let them crawl under my van in the mud. I'd better learn to become self-sufficient when it comes to flat tires and vehicle break downs.
That's exactly what I did - called AAA and they pulled me out of the mud. The downside of this is the fact I was off pavement on a forest service road and the driver charged me 180 bucks! I definitely need to learn all about recovery options. I think just having a front winch would have gotten me out of this predicament pretty easily. What do you guys think would a rear locker maybe kept me from getting stuck as well? As you can see from the pic I was a bit of an idiot about the situation and just kept making it worse. In regards to the hi lifts they are not for changing tires, but rather for getting the vehicle tire off the ground to get out of the hole your stuck in, correct? My stock tire jack was useless in this situation and need to get my self a jack and recovery tools that are useable in off road conditions. From what I can see Hi-lifts are rated for weights even lower that the x-jack. Anyone ever had a hi-lift fail on them and if so what was the result?
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

Our vans are heavy and require the heavy duty high lift for most applications. They are so low priced, I don't know why more folks don't have em. But an air bag does have a place...like I said, it's another tool just like a winch. I've been stuck in mud so deep I couldn't see the tail pipe. So if those work off the tail pipe....shovel.

Today I burried my work truck and told the shop guy if I would of had my pull-pal I could of just winched myself out. There was nothing in front of me to attach to. So like an air bag a pull-pal is just one more tool to fit a situation.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote