Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse Top 'buttons'

My problem is the gasket sticks to the van top, and when the top goes up it tears out the gasket hole, but the buttons are fine. I've got some extra buttons laying around I think, if you don't get any love from SMB I can send you a few.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #12

I had a sticking problem in a two spots when top was new. The black, very sticky, adhesive that is used to seal the top had migrated (over applied?) out to the seal area. I think I used paint thinner to remove it. Checked all of the top perimeter for the stuff. No longer have that problem.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #13

My van is going on six months old now from SMB West. The penthouse gasket is held in place with plastic rivets (what you guys are calling buttons). I had SMB ship me some extras when one seemed to be pulling out. Since I replaced it I haven't had any problems, but I would be very gentle when washing the gasket - do it by hand, and I plan on an annual regiment of silicon spray to keep the gasket soft and flexible.

I have not experienced the gasket sticking to the rubber tape on the roof (I have the SMB painted raptor liner top).

Max, what are you referring to when you say the support bracket broke off? A penthouse support leg inside? Can you give more details of what happened?
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Buttons are cheap/free from smb. Mine were 12 yo when I replaced. They didn't need it, i was just replacing the gasket (for not real reason). Just push the new ones in and trim the back (or not). Get a handful. No big deal.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Max, what are you referring to when you say the support bracket broke off? A penthouse support leg inside? Can you give more details of what happened?
I was wondering the same thing.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #16

I raise the top and wash the then wax the exposed painted surface of the roof several times a year . I also use a Vinyl
conditioner each time that this is done (303 Protectant) and after 3 plus years it appears as good as the day that we picked the Van up in Fresno . The seal was something that I was concerned with from the beginning so I have kept after this . You will also find that this same attention to your door and window jambs will make for a better seal in these areas , preventing the Talc type Dust from migrating into your Vans if Doors are in proper alignment .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Thanks for the responses fellers.

SMB is sending out some replacement buttons.
Apparently they come as too long in length and I will cut them down on the backside on install.
And its ok to caulk or silicone them in (I will use silicone).
Yes they are supposed to hold the gasket in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
My support bracket, yes penthouse support leg, did break loose. It pivots down in one direction.
Unless the top is extended completely up the leg won't pivot down fully.
So I pulled it to the side slightly (yes my fault) and the screws pulled out of the wood ceiling.
Pretty weak.
I don't generally use the support legs though as the top is plenty sturdy as is without them down.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #18

Support legs? Not sure what your referring to.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Several members use something to hold up the PH after it's lifted. Even though I have an electric top, I use aluminum tubing on with rubber feet that go on the chair legs to keep them from sliding...same that's on the end of a cain. Those aluminum tubes are set in the four corners of the top in case something goes wrong and the top comes crashing down. SMB has a option for legs that are attached to the roof and simply swing down in place. I sleep better knowing 2 feet of snow doesn't trap me in the PH.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #20

The ceiling board is super thin, it barely holds up the lights. Drywall plastic inserts might be in order to repair the leg attachment if just the screws ripped out, go as small and short as possible.