Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #1

sPOD (switch panel and relay system) installation write-up

As I said in a previous post I am very happy with the sPOD system which allows for a very easy installation while minimizing wiring. It is a two part system, one part being the switch panel with six prewired switches and the other being the relay system that your lights or whatever you want to connect up go. Rather then have to wire all the relays and switches like I have done on my Jeep, the sPOD makes the process so much easier, and with much higher quality parts. It is pricey, but the amount of time saved makes it worth it in my opinion.

I installed it about a month ago to control all my lighting that I have been adding for the past few months:
1. replace the crappy Hella 500s with PIAA 525's
2. have this control the rear hellas that SMB installed by eliminating those switches that are by the left knee.
3. add Lightforce 240 Blitz 9" adjustable offroad lights
4. add a rear Hella Matador light with handle and switch for the rear
5. add 4 Hella worklights (cheap $7 ones that are actually perfect for extra side lighting while at camp)
6. Had a lamp installed in the sPOD switch unit to replace the green lamp that SMB installed showing when you are in 4WD

I'm finally getting around to post this, but at least I have been able to test it out and now report back. It is a quality system and John the owner has been great throughout the process by answering my calls and emails (even late at night), making a 9' extension cord so I could mount it up top near my CB, and adding the lamp for 4WD.

Here are some photos:

This is the relay part of the system along with very clear instructions and color photos:

This is the switch part of the system that I mounted above the visor on the driver side. Note the red master switch that makes it easy to shut down everything with one button. Also note the red light which replaced the green one indicating when I am in 4WD. (the thing on the left is an external speaker for my CB):

This is where I mounted the relay part of the system. This has the aluminum cover on, covering the relays and circuit board. I mounted with industrial velcro on top of the Ford fuse box:

On to the wiring. There is a single thick wire connecting both units. I had to drill a hole in the floor near the brake pedal. (I have since wrapped the wire so it does not get severed):

After the wire came out of the floor, I routed it up the A-pillar by simply removing the rubber door moulding (and then putting it back):

The hard part was finding a place to run the wires to the roof while minimizing holes. I ran the wires from the relay unit underneath on the driver side through the wheel wells and connected it to the frame. I then brought the wires up in the rear by the closet (I have the 50 floor plan) by drilling a hole, removing some of the trim and going up to the roof:

I then had to drill a few holes in the sheet metal roof to route all the wires to the five lights I mounted up top. I drilled the holes within the penthouse BUT outside the living quarters:

I took the wires up through the penthouse by drilling there too:

I grounded to the sheet metal roof by sanding off the paint and putting in a screw:

I covered the wires and holes with liquid electrical tape. I will likely add Butyl when I get arround to picking up some:

This is the Hella Matador Light:

These are the Lightforce Blitz 240's

I will have to take a photo of the other work lights up top. In the meantime you get the idea. I hope this helps.

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

That's an awesome write-up. I'd argue it's better placed in the mods forum where new people might go to look for cool mods to do? Dunno. Jage- can a thread be "mirrored / shared" between two forums?
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #3

Re: sPOD (switch panel and relay system) installation write-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
You should seal this as if it was out in the elements as sometimes it is- both when the top is up and it rains/snows and also I suspect when driving this area outside is not 100% dry at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Holy Autofocus Failure Batman!

Nice writeup.

Oh yeah, the thread as a whole can be moved but it will only be in one location or the other.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Glad you liked the write up. Jage: feel free to move it wherever you want. Whatever forum is best.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Oni

That's a very nice set-up! Much better than having relays and wires stuffed all over the engine compartment like I usually have!

Makes for a very clean installation!
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote