Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Battery Disconnect

Common procedures are always to remove the ground (from the battery terminal) first and hook it up last on 12 vdc systems so you don't connect between a hot terminal and the chassis which is normally the negitive ground on most all vehicles.

I don't understand your question about the disconnect switch. What kind of switch are you wanting to install? Something like from blue sea?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #12

I just wanted a "master" battery disconnect for both starter and house batteries for a couple of reasons. To ensure juice was off when working on it (instead of having to remove wires at battery terminal, to prevent parasitic drain, and for security. I thought if you disconnect the positive terminal, the system is "dead" but if you disconnect the negative, there is still a chance to complete the circuit somewhere since all the lines are still "charged." Have I got it wrong?

Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-CUTOFF-SW ... 01-6676331

Thanks

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #13

Either the positive or negative can be switched as long as you're cutting the main cables out of the batteries and that will cut all the power to the rig. Once you've disconnected either cable, the system is not charged. But you're right on, the correct way to do it is to cut the positive cable, not the negative. On the 6.0, it's easier to disconnect the negative cable and that's why I was bringing it up to start with. Something else to keep in mind if you put in a switch that cuts all power is that you will lose any presets on your radio, and more important is that the rigs "memory" of the transmission shift points is lost and there is a proceedure you should go thru so it relearns it. The process is in the owners manual. Not a big deal, but a bit of a hassle. My whole reason here was that on the few occasions where one is doing some work and the batteries need (or should) to be disconnected, it is a serious pain in the butt on the dual battery setup on the 6.0 Especially when other equipment like a winch is directly connected to the batteries.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #14

Thanks. That helps. I thought it might be a diesel thing. I'm not sure my van (1995) has the same "brain" as the newer ones so tranny presets may not be an issue. I'll check the manual.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Yes I would install it on the positive terminal as Scatter suggests. You must have easy access to your batteries; I don't. Also my house batteries have flat lug terminals and that disconnect device would not work. That thing looks it works more like a OSHA bar out of an electrical panel where something tightens up and two plates to make contact. So it's probably not a non arcing device if that is even an issue for you. I've never seen one of those. BTW when you do install it take off the negitive cable first, install it on the positive and then hook the negitive up last. That way it can prevent you from making contact between the positive terminal and the frame. Even at that rate you should always play it hot for safety reasons. It is posssible that something could happen like Scatter's original post.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote