Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #1

Garage
Doors won’t lock/unlock

Ah, there’s always something. I just got my van back with the new floor (see my build post for that) and, lo and behold, pull into the driveway and can’t use the regular door switch to unlock the rest of the doors. Hop outside, try using the remote and... nothing. So now I’m running around with my key locking and unlocking doors.

No electrical was involved in this floor install and there’s none under the floor but, clearly, something got disturbed. Before I take it back to Van Specialties, I thought I should at least inquire of you folks what I might I look for as a simple fix.

All of my electrical is stock for an E350 regular body except for my Apple Car Play and alarm system, both of which have been on the van for a couple of years now.

My first thought is that something got disturbed where the carpet overlaps the new floor. Bunch of wires under there.

Helpful thoughts on what I should look at first?
Attached Thumbnails
02B03886-0E64-4427-B1ED-210C5B730302.jpg  

Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #2

Try to disconnect and reconnect the battery. If those guys let the battery voltage go too low with the doors open, it can make the computer go whacky. Check beneath the sill plates. Some interior wires run through there.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

Garage
^^^^^^^Fixed my issue^^^^^^^^

My locks started doing the same, but also locking and unlocking at will. Initially had my Alarm system disconnected since i was sure it was the cause, but the problem persisted. Once I had the batteries checked, found one was at the end of its life, and as soon as i replaced them the problem went away altogether...so I too would suggest starting with the batteries.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, folks. I’ll check those things/places. Anybody else got ideas?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Since you don't list your year van I'll take a stab at this anyway and suggest it could be one of the fuses related to door look function.

Depending how or who installed the alarm that might be an issue too but my first guess would be a fuse somewhere.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Garage
JWA, it’s in my signature, 2014 E350. Thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I was thinking, too. I can’t get at it till Friday. Where am I looking for this fuse?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
JWA, it’s in my signature, 2014 E350. Thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I was thinking, too. I can’t get at it till Friday. Where am I looking for this fuse?
Not everyone has their display options set alike--in my case I purposely don't allow signatures to display, personal preference. However its a good practice in general on auto/truck forums to simply include pertinent info in the body of the post.

Download the owner's manual for your year--in there is a chart showing fuse locations, amp capacity and what circuits they affect. Typically the 2014's would be similar to the '13's which was the last year of regular production for the full-bodied E-Series.

I don't want to give you bad info as to what fuses to check etc. Not sure I'm all that helpful but hope pointing you in the right-ish direction.

Try this link---should take you to Ford's download site: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...r-manuals.html

In that document look for the Roadside Emergencies section---it should have a lot of useful info.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote