Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2023, 04:49 PM   #11

Before you go digging into the batteries, I would verify which batteries are where. I have a 2005 Econoline and the batteries under the side door are the engine batteries. My house battery sits clear in the back right behind the rear axle. I have had to replace all of mine. I did the house battery and had my mechanic do the engine batteries. If it is at all possible, I would recommend just having a mechanic do it. My new house battery was over 90lbs. Mechanics can put the van on a lift and then use a transmission lift to get it into place. Take them an hour of labor where it took me a full day. Just some thoughts.

NoBigFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #12

Garage
Thanks for all the information.

The old battery is out. We had no idea what was in there because we bought the
van used about 18 month ago. It was a Lifeline 210Ah. I believe it was 10 years old, and probably needed to be replaced last summer. We are replacing with the same battery. We live in Northern New Mexico where it gets very cold and pretty hot, so decided against switching to lithium for now. New battery is on the way. Being new Sportsmobile campers we have no idea what camping with a good battery is like, and can't wait to find out.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:03 PM   #13

Sarah - a good battery is definitely nice to have. Solar panels are the huge game changer to keep the battery topped off, especially in the area where you are.

Are you set up with solar? If so, what is the system configuration?
Old 07-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #14

Garage
Hi Ray,
No rooftop solar...yet. I have manual pop top and I'm worried it will be impossible to lift if we add solar. I often camp solo and can just barely lift it myself. I do have a solar generator, but it takes up precious space. I have been in touch with Brian @ the Phoenix Sportsmobile about adding power lift and a solar panel. Maybe this winter?
Old 07-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #15

I've got a 2010 E350 4x4 v10. I'm in the process of converting the inside to a DIY Sportsmobile. My second battery is underneath the passenger side about 1/3 of the way to the back end. What exactly is the second battery for? I've heard only for trailer brakes....
cthiebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #16

Sarah,

We also have a manual pop-top on our SMB. One thing to consider when selecting PV Solar Panels for your pop-top is the difference in weight between the lightweight (flexible) PV panels from places like Renogy:

https://www.renogy.com/175-watt-12-v...e-solar-panel/

(175 Watts / 6.2 lbs)

and other rigid-frame PV panels of the same power (again, an example from Renogy):

https://www.renogy.com/175-watt-mono...e-solar-panel/

(175 Watts / 22 lbs).

I'm not saying that rigid-frame PV panels aren't the right choice for some SMBs, but if you're concerned about the weight of your pop-top, you might first check the adjustment of your pop-top springs to make the manual lift easier, and then maybe consider using lightweight PV panels when you go solar.

Just a suggestion . . .

Timerider
Old 07-23-2023, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiebeau View Post
I've got a 2010 E350 4x4 v10. I'm in the process of converting the inside to a DIY Sportsmobile. My second battery is underneath the passenger side about 1/3 of the way to the back end. What exactly is the second battery for? I've heard only for trailer brakes....
That's a good question. I recently bought a highly optioned 2011 E350 V10 with factory tow package and it has no second battery on the frame. I can only guess that it's a factory option some go for and some don't.

It's a benefit though IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #18

Garage
Thanks for the info,
Are the light weight panels as durable as the rigid? I'm going to add some weight to the bed and see if I can still lift it. I'd very much like to add a solar panel, but would prefer keeping the top manual if it's possible.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Thanks for the info,
Are the light weight panels as durable as the rigid? I'm going to add some weight to the bed and see if I can still lift it. I'd very much like to add a solar panel, but would prefer keeping the top manual if it's possible.
Are you raising the top with the bed platform attached?
Old 07-24-2023, 01:10 PM   #20

Make sure a few doors are open as well, when raising the top.

Tags
battery replacement