Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #11

Re: Offline GPS Maps

GPSKIt HD for iPad, offline cache topo, satellite and street. problem solved.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #12

"GPSKIt HD for iPad, offline cache topo, satellite and street. problem solved."

Problem solved assuming you already have an ipad or iPhone. If not, the $10.00 app cost gets expensive rather quickly!
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
"GPSKIt HD for iPad, offline cache topo, satellite and street. problem solved."

Problem solved assuming you already have an ipad or iPhone. If not, the $10.00 app cost gets expensive rather quickly!
Get a used iPad 1, they are cheap.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #14

I've used iHikeGPS on iOS; it's by the guy who does MacGPS. Pretty nice, especially since you can download topos and forest service maps, the latter being especially helpful since you can get route numbers, restrictions and POIs that are actually useful. I find lots of the topos to be OK for landforms, but totally lacking for roads and other info.

I've also used MotionX on iOS a lot. You can also download maps for offline use. It can use OpenStreetMap (the MotionX map, I believe) or Apple's or Bing. Same for aerial photos. And it does routes, waypoints, photos, etc.

But what I really want is something that uses Google maps, satellite and street views AND can download them for offline use. But I don't think that exists. I am AMAZED at what Google has mapped. And photographed. I wanted to see the turnoff to go up the backside of the Whites to the bristlecone pines, and sure 'nuf, Google had street view on Deep Springs Road. THAT'S remote. And the aerial shots are much better for routefinding than the topos, although I hate to admit that, being a map/orienteering geek. But I don't see ways to download these; ideas?

Rob
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
But what I really want is something that uses Google maps, satellite and street views AND can download them for offline use. But I don't think that exists.

Rob
GPSKit does that (sans street views). You can download about 12 different map types from many providers, inc Google topo, street, satellite.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #16

Shoulda caught that; sorry.

Turns out an app I hadn't loaded in quite a while does offline maps and photos, GaiaGPS. You can choose from US Topo, Google maps/terrain/satellite, UK maps, Canadian maps, etc. I suspect it gets maps from the same sources as GPSKit. CalTopo, one of the sources, allows you to print topos, BTW.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.8,-98.4&z=5&b=t

Otherwise similar features, although I think GPSKit's interface is a bit prettier.

Rob
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #17

I use the Garmin iPhone app that I paid $50 or $60 bucks for at the iTunes store. Works just like the one in my Kenwood DNX512EX in the van. If I had an iPad for the bigger screen, I might retire the radio GPS. Neither one has much in true offroad maps, but for my uses, the Garmin app is pretty good. It eats up a fair amount of memory since all the maps are stored in your phone/pad. It does access the internet when availabe, so that adds Google search when you need it.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Site Team

OK, I purchased Backcountry Navigator Pro, splurged for the Utah BLM add-on.

You cannot import Google Earth KMZ files, so with a little searching I found an online converter tp convert the file to a KML format, which can be imported into BackCountry Navigator.

A while back someone was kind enough to send me a KMZ file that had some locations to dig for ammonites. For some reason, after I converted it and imported the file, the locations are all connected by highlighted lines, similar to a track, but I don't think they are tracks. Anyone have enough experience with BackCountry Navigator or Google Earth to get rid of these lines? The lines do not show up in Google Earth so I think it's some issue with the file conversion or BackCountry Navigator?

thanks,
Herb
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #19

If you have any problems/questions with Back Country Navigator, just contact them. Nathan will get back to you. I've never seen an app producer provide better service.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Not a map, but an interesting app: http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/index.html. May have to spring for it.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote