Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Troubleshooting a Closed Backup Camera System?

What would cause a camera to be horizontally bandy (30% rolling black bands on screen) and then go black completely? It was bandy for a long time and now it just sends black- it does send black though because if I disconnect at any point in the line the monitor changes to no signal.

I've tried other ports and double checked the power and ground. I did have voltage / power problems during the black banding time (bad batteries, low voltage, bad alternator) and it seemed to affect the camera but it didn't come back after the power problems were solved.

My next step is to swap cameras, but since that involves removing silicone and digging short wires out, I wanted to ask for advice on what it could be first. The next next step is digging all 25' of wire out and swapping the middle, and the last step is to get a totally different system which involves removing things that I'm too old to reach anymore.

Any thoughts on a camera that doesn't send image? It's a totally wired system.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Re: Troubleshooting a Closed Backup Camera System?

I've gone through 3 cameras. I'm beginning to think they just don't last long.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

Re: Troubleshooting a Closed Backup Camera System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I've gone through 3 cameras.
What are the symptoms when they go?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

Troubleshooting a Closed Backup Camera System?

My $$$ expensive Kenwood got condensation in it that first fogged the view then got bad enough to totally wipe out the display. I had to pull the entire wired camera out and put a new one in. I sprung for another Kenwood, thinking I could just replace the camera and the wiring back to the first connector (about five feet back) but they changed connectors at some point and I had to do the entire thing. Mine is mounted on the Penthouse and rerunning the wires the entire EB van length was no small job. Grrrr.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

I moved some cameras around and I'm convinced the cameras themselves are bad. I jury rigged another camera and monitor I had since the Rear View Safety brand has proprietary connections and replacement cameras are more than a new, different system. Unfortunately I don't have time to redo the whole system right now.