Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: My build at SMB North

Looks like an excellent build. I hated waiting but looking back it was an exciting time in my life. Just prepare for all the upgrades you'll ant to do.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Yes, it is exciting! No more pics yet. I hate bugging Nancy too much but I will again soon.

Oh, I am fully expecting a raft of upgrades. I have a long list of the things in mind already but didn't include it in the posting that started this thread. That posting was long enough already ;-)

The first upgrade that will happen is snow tires. I may well need them right from the start given that I will be picking this thing up in Indiana in November and driving it back to Denver. I've arranged with a place in Ft Wayne to have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak W965s mounted on some stock steel wheels. They'll be waiting for me when I pick up the van. If there's snow in the forecast, I'll have them mount them. If not, I'll put them on when I get back to Denver. I hope that I don't need them on my first trip but I sure didn't want to take a chance and not have them available.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

...still waiting for more pics

Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Oh, you can't possibly be more eager for new pics than I am. I got more today from Nancy and just posted them in my Gallery.

The cabinets on both sides are now all framed in and the furnace and water heater are in place.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcdonald99
Oh, you can't possibly be more eager for new pics than I am. I got more today from Nancy and just posted them in my Gallery.

The cabinets on both sides are now all framed in and the furnace and water heater are in place.
That looks to be a really usable layout Dan. Lots of galley storage plus you'll still have a closet/pantry. Love the cherry colored cabinets too! Thanks for posting those.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #16

Thanks on the cherry. I have to tell you that that I thought hard about that decision. I like white cabinets. I won't tell you the whole long story. I'll just say that I like the cherry too.

More pics in my gallery now. Cabinets are much more finished now. The Driver and Passenger seats have been reinstalled with all of their SMB options.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #17

I just put the latest set of pics up in my Gallery. The van is pretty much finished now.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. A big shout out to Nancy, Don, Randy and Paul at SMB North.

My schedule won't let me get out to Indiana to pick it up until Nov 7. It's going to be hard to wait knowing that the van is sitting there ready to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #18

Wow Dan! That looks fantastic! Again, nice choice on colors and materials!

Now I'm all conflicted on floor plans (again). Thought we'd just go with the -50 but after seeing your van, I'm leaning toward an aisle arrangement. I just can't believe all of the cabinets and counter space you have in the galley! The other flat surface aft of the gaucho is nice too. What do you have planned for that area?

Again, my compliments. I only wish I was able to get down there to see it in progress. Maybe I can sneak down there in a week or so if I get a free day.

Jim
Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #19

Oh, I'm quite happy to contribute to your confusion now that mine is all over.

'Plan' would be too strong a word to use for that counter space above the fridge. It's really just a happy side effect of having decided to put the fridge up above floor level so that it would be easier to reach into. Since I wanted an elevated fridge and since I was firm on having the whole passenger side being normal counter level, that moved the fridge to where it is. And voila, there's a counter on top of it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #20

I picked up the van yesterday and camped in it last night. I love it!

I flew from Denver to Ft. Wayne on Wednesday evening. Nancy from SMB picked me up from the hotel on Thursday morning. My walkthrough with the guys started by ~9:30 and took a couple of hours. They were very knowledgeable and efficient.

Then I drove across the street and sat out in the Historical Society parking lot and played with stuff myself. That's when the real learning started.

The list of wonderful things is huge. The list of issues is tiny. The short Thule tracks got installed instead of the long. There are a few detail issues with the Ultraleather upholstery. All issues will be fully fixed by SMB today.

More notable are the bonehead moves that I've made so far. I locked myself out (don't ask) but fortunately the penthouse top was up and the guys showed me how easy it is to get in through the zippered windows. Good to know on many levels.

I also drove (briefly) without locking down the penthouse top. Let's hope that's a one-time event like the lock-out.

I've posted a few more pictures in my gallery.