Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #11

Re: New SMB build, Ford E350 EB V10, help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quigley components are covered buy the Quigley warranty, not Ford.
That might be, but my van (ordered with Quigley 4x4) had the front axle seals replaced under warranty by my local Ford dealer. And they repaired a problem on the front ABS, also under warranty.

Both of those were Ford parts, but I was surprised when Ford covered them. And it wasn't just my local (non-selling) dealer, I was prepared to pay for the work but, the P/N's were covered under the 7yr/100K PremiumCare warranty.

Saved me $700.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quigley components are covered buy the Quigley warranty, not Ford.
That might be, but my van (ordered with Quigley 4x4) had the front axle seals replaced under warranty by my local Ford dealer. And they repaired a problem on the front ABS, also under warranty.

Both of those were Ford parts, but I was surprised when Ford covered them. And it wasn't just my local (non-selling) dealer, I was prepared to pay for the work but, the P/N's were covered under the 7yr/100K PremiumCare warranty.

Saved me $700.

Mike
That makes sense since they are Ford parts. When QuadVan receives a new van, all the Ford 4x4 they need come bundled on a palette in the back of the van. I'm sure Quigley has a similar arrangement. But non-Ford parts, like the modified axle housing, or the Torque-arms, would no longer fall under the Ford warranty, and would then by covered under the Quigley warranty.

I really haven't heard about anyone having any warranty coverage issues with Quigley, QuadVan or SMB, with the exception of older Quigleys having hard-to-fond brake components (not a problem anymore since they migrated to the newer D60 as well). But I'm sure it ultimately comes down to how much the dealer works with 4x4 vans. Some of the Ford dealers around here keep 4x4 Quigleys and QuadVans as regular dealer stock. Any decent Ford tech should be able to ID Ford 4x4 parts without much headscratching.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #13

I too would at least check into,

Quadvans http://www.quadvan.com/

Chris @ U Joint Off Road http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

before deciding which 4x4 system to use. U Joint is one the east coast and can convert your van after the conversion.

Quadvan to me seems like a better choice than Quigley if you want a coil spring setup. Its too bad you couldn't drive both (all) of them first before deciding, you might see a difference.

Quadvan uses stock Ford truck parts and many of Quigley's parts are custom made by and for them. None of that will matter to you for a few years but in time you will have to get at least some parts directly from Quigley because nobody else has them. You are close to them where you are but what if you are on a trip?

U Joint is like the Sportsmobile 4x4 system and uses front leaf springs. If for some reason you have bigger tires in mind Sportsmobile and U Joint are a much better choice as they both move the front axle ahead a little bit for more clearance.

You could always ship the van one way and have the adventure (or is that adVANture) of driving it the other.

I think other than Quigley you could do the 4x4 swap at anytime thus saving you some money until you want to do the conversion. Unless something has changed Quigley will only do brand new vans before you get them..

Good luck with your new van its sounds great...

Oh, get the Ford rear A/C and heat you will love it... it might take up some space though so check with Sportsmobile first..

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #14

adVANture, that's what I'll call it. I was already thinking about this if I chose quadvan. I could have SMB finish everything and then take my first road trip out to quadvan. Sounds like rear a/c is a good choice.

Forgot to ask about the front driver seat. Is it worth giving up the powerseat/lumbar support for the 90 degree swivel? Almost seems like it would not be that usable with such a small swivel. Planning on going the the passenger side swivel though.

Steve
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #15

I bought my van in Ohio and drove it back to California via the southern route as it was spring and it was a lot of fun even without any interior in it. Its a long drive across this country but it can be fun. If you go to Quadvans you may consider taking Route 20 all the way home instead of the freeway system.

The rear A/C unit is great, I had to add it on to my last two vans but it was one of the reasons I went to Ohio to get this van because it had factory rear A/C and heat. The unit takes up a bit of space as I said so talk to Sportsmobile before hand as it might limit your build options. It works really nice even when camping with the V-10 engine. We have a temp unit for our remote start system and if it gets too hot (A/C) or too cold (heat) inside the van the engine starts and runs until its warmed up or cooled down if we want it too. Once you have had one its hard to live without it especially in the Northeast where I lived until ten years ago. The rear A/C is only part of it the rear heater warms up the big interior really fast and even way less cold drafts. You can buy the van preped for rear A/C and heat (all factory wiring and hoses) and then get a smaller unit if you have too. Here are some of those but there are others. Be sure you get heat also...

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanre ... rators.htm

I put 2011 Anniversary Edition (a leather version of the seats you will be getting from the factory) seats in my van and the drivers side is power, I love it. If it were me I would do without the ability to swivel for the factory power adjustability and the lumbar that the manual seats do not have. Its too bad the passenger seat never can have lumbar but Suzann loves the new seats. There are no swivel bases for the factory power seat because the base is really different than the manual seats and the power seat is super rare on vans, I looked for over a year to find one. Most 4x4 vans the shifter for the transfer case is too close to the seat to swivel easy (or at all) anyway. Thats my thought about it, although from what carringb said Quadvans may have a dash mounted switch as an option instead of a lever...

If you want just to have a power seat you can get the Ford manual seats amnd buy these bases that swivel too. Or one manual for the passenger and one power for the drivers side. You can then have power and swivel but no lumbar at least with the stock seats. Go towards the bottom of the page numbers 113007 & 113008 near the price. Its some thing that can be done at a later date as well.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanse ... tbases.htm

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
... If it were me I would do without the ability to swivel for the factory power adjustability and the lumbar that the manual seats do not have. Its too bad the passenger seat never can have lumbar but Suzann loves the new seats. ...
Find a good automotive upholstery shop, or even a good car audio shop, and you can have lumbar support added, not to mention seat heaters.

There's a thought, when you buy your powered steps/sliders, you can buy her lumbar support for the passenger seat, then it's all even and fair.

Herb
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #17

Thanks for looking out for us Herb...

I already have the seat heater parts thing figured out, so thats covered. That was part of the new seat deal the CFO wanted leather, seat heaters and at least a swivel passengers seat. Many years of VWs and Audis ownership have us spoiled as far as leather and seat heaters go, the CFO especially. She claims she does not need the lumbar with the newer style seats so far...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
... If it were me I would do without the ability to swivel for the factory power adjustability and the lumbar that the manual seats do not have. Its too bad the passenger seat never can have lumbar but Suzann loves the new seats. ...
Find a good automotive upholstery shop, or even a good car audio shop, and you can have lumbar support added, not to mention seat heaters.

There's a thought, when you buy your powered steps/sliders, you can buy her lumbar support for the passenger seat, then it's all even and fair.

Herb
Van Specialties will build custom seats like that. They are just 15 minutes south of QuadVan.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #19

Ordered my Van in Dec (Xmas present). Suppose to show up at Quadvan today. They'll be putting in the 4x4, aluminess rear bumper with box & tire rack, an outback aluminum bumper from buckstop, Viair air compressor with tank, bilstein shocks, mile maker winch, ride rite air bags, american eagle series 50 black wheels and Toyo Open country AT 285/70 tires.

...now we just have to wait some more.

Expectant SMB parents in Madison, WI
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #20

I think we'd all enjoy some build pics if you get a chance to sneak in there during the build