Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

Re: Toilet Options

Composting toilet from Natures Head......I have had all the others listed in other vehicles and the wife and I agree it's the best one we have had by far.....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Composting toilet from Natures Head......I have had all the others listed in other vehicles and the wife and I agree it's the best one we have had by far.....
Hey Brent, how heavy are those compared to the standard PP that has a water tank?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Brent - I was looking at the NH site and did a bit of research on them. We use a Porta Potti and have been super happy with it but also looking at our new build and what we might want to change. The NH seems interesting. Usage between emptying looks to be attractive, certainly for the solids part. The liquid side looks to be similiar to be a bit shorter than the Porta Potti we have which seems to go about 5 to 7 days, if we use "outdoors" during the day. Btw - Happy Bowl liners are awesome.

One thingbwhich caught my eye was the need for a vent pipe run to the roof of the van. While this posses no issue with a fixed top, it is a BIG question with a pop top. Any ideas? The posts say the vent is for moisture release but I wonder if the vent also allows redirect of foul odors? If no smells, then could probably run the vent out the side just under the gutter as roof is not accessible space with a pop top.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #14

I dunno. A rolling outhouse is not what I envisioned when I bought my van. Maybe that's just me.

You have to prioritize what's in there. If it's a marine toilet, out goes something else. And then there's the wisdom of a toilet around food production; envision two people in a rainy week stuck inside. I don't consider that sanitary enough, but it may depend on your layout. The beauty of the porta potty is that it can be moved outside. Buy a cheapo tent and you've got your own outhouse, emphasis on "out."

I do a lot of boondocking, and use a toilet seat, maybe a tent, and wag bags. Easy to use, and useful if you are a boater or backpacker since they are increasingly required. I use the storage that was designed for the porta potty for other uses. I've also got a rocket box toilet for rafting, but it's heavy. I've been thinking of converting a LCI jerry can to such use since it's about the right height, airtight, and sturdy enough to sit on. But so far everyone is OK with wag bags.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Rob raises an excellent point. Another great reason for a porta potty is that it can be moved outside and used in a tent or whatever your setup is. It can also be used for a small stool in or out or whatever. Since our van does not allow walk through to the back with the center bed made we have also put it between the two front seats at night several times. It's easy for everyone to get to from upstairs or down if needed in the night, but of course unless you are female the rule in my van is "just don't need it! Step outside!" Lots of reasons for that of course. Sportsmobiles (and camping in general) exacerbate inebriation, and inebriation inhibits aim.

And just why the crap hasn't anyone used this smiley yet?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

So far all I've used are bags and a tent. But you have to pack out the bags and throwing those away is NOT fun. I find those also not only cause a smell problem but finding a place to get rid of can be an issue plus it takes up space for other trash. I want to put a box on the bumper for a PP but have to factor in cold weather. I don't know how a earth crapper is affected by freezing temps but if they require a vent that might be a deal breaker.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #17

Dave, with liberal amounts of chemical I've left mine in the van year round, with lots of subfreezing nights including a stretch or two of near 0 temps this past winter. I actually meant to take it out but forgot. Anyway, neither the chemical/waste in the bottom or the fresh water in the top section froze. If I remember I put just a cup or so of RV antifreeze in the top, but that was well in to winter after lots of freezing temps.

I use this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-15483-Aq ... +treatment

It doesn't take near a bottle, I usually just put maybe 3 oz. in mine. I've been working on the same half case for years.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Good point. But I'd still like to know how the composting heads react to freezing temps and as 1der posted I need to know about the venting. If they vent smells or can't take freezing, the PP that came with my rig might find a home on the rear bumper in a box. I still am reluctant to haul it inside the van. Just me.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #19

We use a portapotty as well and are very satisfied with it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #20

We vented the composting toilet through the floor behind where it's installed. We rarely smell anything unless changing out the peat moss and it's smells like peat moss. The liquid tank is emptied every three to four days on a long trip and I go outside whenever possible.

We tack welded tabs into the shower pan where it's installed. Takes one minute to remove. Much easier to clean.

We had a full toilet in our truck camper with a macerator setup installed and this is still better for us.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote