Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
Site Team

Re: Bug Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Good point. I hope to go to Alaska next summer, and indeed I ran into noseeums in the Trinity Alps a few years ago.

Suggestions for where to source noseeums-proof mesh? My local fabric store has mosquito netting, but that won't suffice.

Thanks.
No personal experience, but...

http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/home/mo ... hwodvQm3kw

http://www.skeeta.com/html/netting/mosq ... etting.htm

Herb

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #32

Thanks.

There are several fabric stores in Oregon, Washington and Idaho which carry no-seeum netting by the yard, as well as a fabulous array of outdoor fabrics and fittings.

--GreyDawg
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #33

Maybe Angel will pop in
she has a nice set up....
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #34

GreyDawg ,
Try the following sources Amazon.com. Campmor.com. Mosquitocurtains.com we have sourced both Mosquito and No Seeum fabrics with success in past . And for any of you that care , remember that most Biting Insects are drawn more readily to the Darker Fabrics !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #35

I made screens for my Chevy Express. Purchased black no-see-un screen in bulk from Seattle Fabrics and round magnets from Home Depot. Have been real happy with the screens they go on of off in seconds and stow in door pockets in each door where used.
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #36

Could any of the contributors showing their screens indicate whether the doors (barn and rear) can be closed with the screens in place, especially for the designs that use magnets?

Our attempt at a barn door screen similar to those shown made entry and exit too difficult (can only use front half as we have a permanent cabinet (stove top, microwave and Luggable Loo) blocking the rear half), so we made simple screens (see link below) for just the front (cockpit) windows, open the three openable house windows and rely on the Fantastic fan to "survive" in warm buggy areas.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15674

Of course entering or exiting through the barn door with or without a screen gives the little critters a shot at getting inside, so we also carry the ultimate tool, an electric fly-swatter type of bug zapper that is highly effective as long as you learn how to use it, i.e. sneak up on bugs that have landed and not try to swat them in the air. Once I measured the voltage between adjacent wires and was surprises to find it was over 400 volts! Once we had many dozens of mosquitoes on the fuzzy ceiling liner and the zapper efficiently got them all!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #37

Try Seattle Fabrics.....I swear they have anything and everything, and if they don’t, they can get it for you!
I made a really great primaloft vest a few years ago from things purchased from them. Still have and use it too, as it’s warmer than most store-bought items.
They’ll even send you a catalog if you ask.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #38

Our VW Westy came with a rear hatch screen, as most do, but we wanted something similar for the slider opening so my seamstress bride whipped up something out of no-see-um mesh and grey vinyl (matches the interior, doncha know) and has magnetic closure. Beats a zipper for closure 'cause it's a no-handed entry and exit; just push your way in or out and it opens easily and closes behind you. She also weighted the hem with BBs to prevent blowing. Pic shows it attached to the outside of the van for display purposes but it fits entirely inside and the slider operates normally with the screen in place. Yes, you want no-see-um netting. Just try normal mesh screen when those little buggers are out.

We'll be making these for our big Dodge highroof van but might use the Magic Mesh when the time comes, perhaps modified with the finer mesh. Those MM screens stock work well enough on two of our sliding door openings in the house.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:30 AM   #39

I had not planned on a zipper. Easy in easy out is much better. Hadn’t thought of the BB’s though, an
excellent idea. Tell your wife she does beautiful work!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:19 AM   #40

Garage
My wife bought some of the garage door screens to make some screens for our van. There was enough fabric for the barn doors and rear doors as well as for the driver and pasenger windows. We used rare earth magnets to hold them in place and they hold well. We may( or rather, my wife may) redo them with no-see-um screens. The mesh on the screens advertised on television is not very fine and some bugs crawl right through. It looks to me as if the overlap might work better than the magnets that come with the screens, they aren't very strong and don't self align very well. BBs seems like a good way to weight down the bottom. The screens came with some short lengths of pipe for bottom weights but that doesn't stow as easily as the BBs, or possibly musket balls, might. The musket balls would have the advantage of not sticking to the magnets.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote