Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Re: DeLorme Gazeteer sale again

Thanks for heads-up. The priority code worked and I was able to fill in a few missing Atlases.

Driveabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I've heard of these but never used them. Are they really good?
Some of them are, but some are really, really bad.

The AZ and NM editions for example, are very good. Roads are in the locations they're shown and I found access / ownership depictions to be accurate. I've relied on the AZ edition for navigation in the most remote areas of the state for years.

WA OTOH shows major roads where there are none and so far has been completely inaccurate on the shape and numbers of FS roads. Not to mention that around here, half the roads in the forest are gated by Weyerhouser or someone. Our WA gazetteer is useless. It's the one I hand to my kid while I actually use my Benchmark and Green Trails. This edition may be an anomaly.

The CO edition was (IME) accurate as to the routes and numbers, but frequently failed to properly depict access / ownership.

Those are the 4 I have the most experience with, but in my limited use, here's my opinions of others if anyone cares:
ID- At least in the area North of I90, it has been accurate and useful.
MT- so far very accurate in all respects. It did show Delmoe lake with quite a bit more water than was actually there in the fall...
OR- too little experience to judge.
UT- Accurate in the SE part of the state. No experience in other parts.
NV- too little experience to judge.
WY- Accurate around Yellowstone, no other experience.
CA- Accurate in the central coast region, I have only major road experience elsewhere.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #13

Well...thanks.

I bought six of them.

Father in law and brighter in laws birthday coming in a few weeks.
MN and Wisconsin for those outdoorsmen,
AZ & Utah, MN & CA for me.
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger
Good point, Brian... in my case mine are ~20 years old anyway!
i have one i picked up in the early 90's for idaho. i figured it was beatdown enough to warrant replacing it with an updated version as i had run into some discrepancies summer before last. since it was still fresh in my head, i decided to see if the area in question had been updated. big ole negative. thumbed through it and nothing had been updated other than the print date. not saying it isnt a useful tool, cause we use the hell outta it every trip out, but the idaho version is long overdue for some updates.

that said, im going to order 4 of them. big thanks for the headsup and promo code gents!!!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #15

Thanks for the link. Just ordered AZ, NM - backordered, WA, OR and Utah. These are something I have wanted for a while.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake

That's disappointing to hear. Never had a problem myself, but I've never used that many. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out and find the errors with my new Sporty!!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Quote:

That's disappointing to hear. Never had a problem myself, but I've never used that many. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out and find the errors with my new Sporty!!
Yeah, really it's just the WA edition that I'm unhappy with. The most egregious errors are in the Olympic NF where the road routes and numbers are just dead wrong. It shows a state highway crossing the Cushman Lake dam where there is most definitely no road whatsoever. We've found a few other instances of this, but that's the most comical.

I read on some NW hiking forum that Delorme gets road data from various sources including census and DOT proposals. Apparently some of these proposals flounder in political stagnation for years after the map goes to print, and some don't ever even pass.

That said, the topography is accurate and the scale is useful for the speed and range of vehicle travel. To do what I like, I have to use both the Benchmark (larger scale than the Gazetteer) and Green Trails or USFS topo maps to for finer resolution navigation. In WA at least.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, really it's just the WA edition that I'm unhappy with. The most egregious errors are in the Olympic NF where the road routes and numbers are just dead wrong. It shows a state highway crossing the Cushman Lake dam where there is most definitely no road whatsoever. We've found a few other instances of this, but that's the most comical.

I read on some NW hiking forum that Delorme gets road data from various sources including census and DOT proposals. Apparently some of these proposals flounder in political stagnation for years after the map goes to print, and some don't ever even pass.

That said, the topography is accurate and the scale is useful for the speed and range of vehicle travel. To do what I like, I have to use both the Benchmark (larger scale than the Gazetteer) and Green Trails or USFS topo maps to for finer resolution navigation. In WA at least.

I've had good luck with the Green Trails and stopping at the ranger station to get the current USFS maps. Those tend to be extremely accurate and up to date annually, often showing gates, washouts, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #19

SALE ENDS TODAY!!! I went ahead and ordered two of them. First was my home state to sort of compare what I already know and see how I like using them. Otherwise I got Colorado, where we always spend time every year. Discount IS applied at checkout, and shipping is only 5.95 up to $25.

Thanks for the hint Grumpybadger!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #20

I prefer the map books by Benchmark. They seem to be more accurate. However they are only available for western states.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote