Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

I've carried a Hi-lift jack in my vans since 1976. And I don't know why. Only used it once in all those years and that was to lift the van just enough to get it off a boulder I high centered on.

If all you are looking for is something to change flat tires, there are much better options out there. The high lift jack, especially if you have a long-travel suspension, needs to lift the van WAY up in the air for the tire to come off the ground. They can be dangerous! As others have said...scissors jack, bottle jack - all work better for tire changing than a hi-lift. Myself, I carry a small, light floor jack in my front bumper. Easy to get under the van and much more stable than other options.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #12

Hi Lifts are not really made for our vans and can be very dangerous.. Carry a Standard Shop Floor Jack rated for your Van. Lift by the Axle when you can. Carry Mud ramps, and Buy a Winch. since 1996 I have only been in one situation where i could not get out and my Winch and a Tree fixed that for me. . Hi Lift not so much.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #13

Since I only have a winch in front, I've wondered if something like this might work in a pinch for reverse winching?

Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #14

Garage
Very intriguing option Kibo, surprised I haven't seen anything on this system...ever. Yet it seems to have been around at least the last 4-5 years.
I just pulled up a kit that fits an F150 Ford to get an idea of price (didn't really search if they had anything to fit on of our Vans), and at $450 for a basic kit it seems in line with the cost of entry level Winch. I like the concept.
If I owned one, I'd probably attempt using it before I'd considered the bumper winch based on the simplicity and effectiveness portrayed in the videos.
Glad you shared your find.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #15

Those Aussies are quite inventive, aren't they? I too hadn't heard much about it, but I thought there might be a reason for that.

I couldn't find a listing that would fit our vans unfortunately, but I really like the concept.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #16

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho
This is a nice little jack with a wide base that eliminates dangerous bottle jack wobbles.
I've used it to change a trailer flat many times but so far never had a flat on the Van that needed immediate repair.

https://www.pepboys.com/powerbuilt-6...527?quantity=1
Old 11-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Native View Post
This is a nice little jack with a wide base that eliminates dangerous bottle jack wobbles.
I've used it to change a trailer flat many times but so far never had a flat on the Van that needed immediate repair.

https://www.pepboys.com/powerbuilt-6...527?quantity=1

I have one of these, though I've never had to use it. Good price on it at Pep Boys right now, only $45 after the discount.

Herb
Old 11-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #18

Garage
^^^^^I have the same as well^^^^^^

Also have not needed to use it, but did try it out twice (front and rear) to confirm its performance. No issues.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^^^ Me too on owning one of those--turned a friend onto them as well. They're a great roadside tool that doesn't take up a lot of space plus you can pile things on top of it without worry you'll damage it.

I did buy the Hummer scissor jack and Agile adapter block but even so will probably still carry the PowerBilt jack stand too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Hi Lift Jack. Question

Keep it simple the lift point is the wheel and you put rocks under the axel when using the highlift then you can one change the tire or get stuff under it.

Oh and unless you have hard ground a pump jack is useless. My hyLift was useless on blow sand over lake muck and I had to winch our. Yes a two foot base of 2x6 and it sunk so think about it.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote