Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #11

Re: Beginning the Build...

Oh, I see. My mirrors are just regular one piece glass.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #12

Very productive morning! We drove to San Jose to meet with one of the only places in NorCal willing to do a minimal build. We spent about an hour with the co-owner of the place, and got to peer around at a van in their shop which had some similar challenges and design features that we're discussing.

In my opinion, the interior quality looked much better than the other place we visited a few months ago. And he gave us some good information about various build materials, including the fact that the Fiberine top could be color-matched to our van's color, instead of being an ugly generic white. Yay!

I think we're going to give him the green light to get started. Which means Dave is going to have to start working some evenings on the wiring, since we need that done before the shop installs the high top and the wall skins.

The breakdown of work is as follows:

- Fiberine 24" hightop, primer white (so we can paint to match, rather than having the color in the gel)
- Shelf over the cab, with a lip
- Paneling, vinyl covered, gray for walls and doors, including molded door covers
- Insulation
- Custom headliner
- Two 48" sliding windows in hightop
- Carpet or rubber matting
- Small shelves along the walls of the van, 3" deep or so, upholstered
- Day/Night shades for rear windows, and curtain & rod separating the cab from the cabin.

Cost estimate is ~ $6K, including materials and labor.

Dave will do the interior LED lights, plus add 3 way switches at each cargo door. He'll do the battery and inverter wiring, to include 2 cigarette power ports in the cargo.

Our questions:

1) What sort of insulation would you recommend? We're concerned about water being trapped in fiberglass insulation. He'll do any insulation we prefer...

2) Cargo net for cab shelf. How would you anchor it so that you're not screwing anchor bolts through the high top? The idea is to have a few tie down hooks on the shelf, and along the walls of the high top, so we can stretch the net to retain lightweight stuff up top. Recommendations for cargo nets that would fit the width of the van also appreciated.

3) Pop out windows? The owner said he could easily retrofit the pop out windows in the rear doors - we buy the parts kit, he installs. It seems like a good idea for ventilation, since we have been known to prop the doors of the current van open (which neither of us have liked, but was necessary). Has anyone done this mod?

4) Flooring. He actually had a BedRug sample to look at, and it was not quite what we thought. There appear to be two options - one that is shaped like the ridged floor of the E350, in reverse, so that it levels the floor with the mat, and it's cushioned. The top surface is then...indoor/outdoor carpet-like material.

The second option is just a thin rubber mat, with very little cushion. He puts plywood down as a subfloor on this, and then the rubber mat on top. Not cushy at all.

Is there any product that has the cushion, with a rubber top too?

Ok, that's all for now. More to follow as discussions percolate more ideas...

Sandi
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #13

2. I intend to use plywood strips which I will epoxy or fiberglass against the high top wall in order to get a "screwable" surface for the bulkhead cargo area above the cab. That is, unless someone has a better idea?

In my case, I plan to build in doors for that area above the cab.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #14

So, we've decided to put in the pop-out windows in the rear cargo area. One of the four windows has the pop-out; the other three are fixed.

So, we hit the local pick-a-part places.

And we found TWO pop-outs!

Cost for both, including brackets and trim - $66. Ford wants nearly $200 per window.

Also, the Fantastic Breeze fan has shown up, along with the Van Tred Rubber Mat.

Getting there....now to find the lights.

Sandi
Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #15

Sandi,
Regarding your question n° 1, I would advise E-low.
Low profile aluminium with foam in between (similar to refletix)
Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #16

Thanks, Andrew!

-S
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #17

We have the same van (year, color, engine) except ours is the passenger version. Can't wait to see how your build comes along.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
4) Flooring. He actually had a BedRug sample to look at, and it was not quite what we thought. There appear to be two options - one that is shaped like the ridged floor of the E350, in reverse, so that it levels the floor with the mat, and it's cushioned. The top surface is then...indoor/outdoor carpet-like material.

The second option is just a thin rubber mat, with very little cushion. He puts plywood down as a subfloor on this, and then the rubber mat on top. Not cushy at all.

Is there any product that has the cushion, with a rubber top too?
I forgot this:
You have the vanRug and the vanTread which is rubber coated
Look here: http://www.roadworksauto.com/vanrug.htm

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST

I forgot this:
You have the vanRug and the vanTread which is rubber coated
Look here: http://www.roadworksauto.com/vanrug.htm

Andrew
Too late! I already found the VanTred, and ordered it. It's already sitting in the van. But thanks for the lookout!

Sandi
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
We have the same van (year, color, engine) except ours is the passenger version. Can't wait to see how your build comes along.

Ray
Me too! DH made a wiring diagram yesterday. He was ordering the wiring and switches today from Grainger's.

His big plan was LED 1.2" rope light, but most sources only have it in 150' spools (although I did find him a source that does custom lengths - he swears it's a manufacturer that has some "bad" reviews).

He also wants the 4 lights on switches (2 at each door) to be dimmable, and we've had a hard time coming up with dimmable LED lights that we like. He's beginning to see why so many others buy regular incandescent lights, and simply swap the bulbs....

Sandi