Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #21

We have the espar b4 installed in our Ford E350 gasser. We've run it up to 4,800 meters (15,700ft) in Chile, without issues. Two friends had issues with their diesel Webasto heaters at that altitude and spent very cold nights/mornings. One was so badly clogged that after we watched a fireball emit from the heater's exhaust pipe, they decided to not use it until they could find a service center. They needed to wait two weeks (of cold) to find one in Argentina.

I will say we only use our heater while awake, and choose to sleep in the cold with good blankets / bags. Safety first.

I chose the b4 for simplicity. I didn't want to deal with a second fuel tank or ensuring it was kept full as we were traveling. We do have the espar high altitude module, but were able to use the heater up 8,000 ft without the altitude module installed and with no issues.

Actually, to be honest we used it the first time we hit 14,000 ft without the module installed and experienced the unit throwing an error after about an hour. I reset it and ran another hour before an error. This was sufficient time for us to eat and get ourselves ready for bed. Four days later I installed the altitude module while at 8,000 ft and we didn't have any issues through northern Chile, Bolivia, and Perú where we were regularly traveling at 10,000 - 13,000 ft.

Based on my experience in SA and those of friends with both Webasto and Espar diesel heaters, if I were to install another heater I would use a B4 again, as it seems that the diesel models clog up very easily with poor quality fuel and/or high altitude.

jjbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:44 AM   #22

Garage
Thank you jj for that helpful experience.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #23

I have a gas van, and I decided to go with the Webasto Airtop 2000 STC from Russia. Cost was obviously a driving factor, but like others I was unconvinced that the Chinese-direct heaters would meet my expectations. I'm certain that anyone shopping for one of these has read the instructions for switching to high altitude usage from TechWebasto using a rheostat:

https://faroutride.com/webasto-espar-high-altitudes/

Webasto only rates this heater to 2200m (~7200ft), but the comment about turning the controller to 8 o'clock for altitudes of 10k+ (plus the instructions of adjusting based on CO output) indicates to me that the setting is a continuum.

The next larger in Webasto's line actually has a built-in altitude sensor, but it's considerably more expensive and my understanding is that the high-altitude version (5000m) is OE-only. I also reasoned that the 2kW heater will be running "harder" to maintain temperature than a 4kW heater, and thus less likely to coke up.

All TBD though, just showed up a few weeks ago and haven't had time to install it yet.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #24

Garage
Thanks for the info. I’ll look forward to an update when you get this installed.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #25

Garage
Hi, I am relatively new to the forum. Our 2019 Ford Transit 350 HR is in the queue at Sportsmobile West. I chose propane instead of using gas as the fuel source for our heater/ hot water system. The Truma Combi is the system I selected to go with. It has a small foot print for installation and has been used in many Class B type builds. It might be an option if the choice is to go with propane in lieu of gasoline. Just another potential option....
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #26

Garage
Charliesmom, thanks. I hope you’ll keep us updated on your satisfaction with the Truma. Looks like a good unit and certainly many Europeans are happy with theirs. Good luck with your build!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Been hearing a lot of good things about the Chinese knockoff heaters for a couple of years now. Saw a thread a while back that ccv is putting their name on one of them. Sounded like they’ve installed quite a few all with positive results. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they recommend.
Yup we have our own heater & it’s pretty sweet tested it for a full year with 10 units all employees with great success for now diesel only but we are working had on a gasser too.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #28

Scotty- waiting on my Planar to arrive- have to get a fuel line to the diesel tank and a muffler but other than that set. Curios to see if you have any more insight into it- noise- performance- durability etc. Thanks!
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #29

I have just installed Webasto Airtop 200STC diesel heater. I am super impressed with the heat output. Mine came with both HD controlled with display and as well with the rheostat. I did not install the muffler and I really don't think it's loud outside at all.Made a high density foam cover for the fuel pump to isolate some of the clicking noise that I didn't like.
This thing makes the van really toasty quick.
Does anyone have experience using the Webasot around 10K Ft?
I often camp in that altitude and wonder if I need to make the adjustment.
Thanks