Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Floor and Wall "Rib" Info??

I've asked Ford's Body Builder's Department for clarification or elaboration on their floor and wall "rib" sizes, spacing, dimensions so that I can thoroughly design my floor/wall system for my DIY van RV. There is no mention of their spacing (on-centers), depth, size, or anything in the BBLB, which I have been using as a general dimension guide for my own CAD design drawings. The person that I was emailing told me that they cannot provide drawings to third parties due to confidentiality agreements (which I already knew). The person also could not access their CAD drawings to even pull a few dimensions off the database for me. In short, getting assistance from Ford is a dead end.

So, short of having a personal van right in front of me to strike tape measure dimensions directly, which is impossible at the time due to finances, does anyone know general dimensional answers to:

1. How "deep" the floor ribs are? They look pretty shallow from some of the photos I've seen. I'd say they're only deep enough to put a layer of Reflectix in between the ribs. Is this accurate?

2. Are the floor ribs at a regular size (width) and at a regular interval, or are they sort of random? This is key to my floor design as I need to lay out at regular intervals for an in-floor heating system.

3. Are the wall ribs all the same depth? What is the depth of a wall "void"? Is it enough to stuff in 4" of insulation (like they use in 2x4 construction)?

4. What width are the wall ribs, and do they occur at regular intervals (on-center)? This would be helpful to know so that wall paneling can be pre-cut and attached easily.

5. Are the floor and wall rib dimensions the same for every model year, or has Ford changed them enough so there's no set "standard" anymore? I've seen a few base interior van pictures, and it seems like they all show the bare walls, ribs, confugurations, and voids different every time.

Any input or clarification would be appreciated.

I've been designing my DIY RV for a long time now, and getting as much research and information under my belt as I can, and put into CAD, so as to be ready to build as soon as I purchase a used van. I tend to maybe over-think things, and over-draw my CAD drawings, but it is a fun process, and I think it makes sense to plan everything out in your mind and in CAD before trying to build it in real life.

I must admit, seeing it all down in CAD (or on paper) helps you really envision the entire project, and realize and understand how many of the components inter-depend on other components.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Re: Floor and Wall "Rib" Info??

I don't think there's anything 'regular' about the ribs in the body - they're seemingly random and for the life of me I can't understand why the interior wall bubbles out here, has a ridge there, etc... I had much more luck building on the fly than I did with pre-planning everything. There was always some irregularity that I'd have to adapt to.

Where you see actual 'ribs' or pillars coming down, you'll find them to be covering solid metal frame ribs. Most of the van is a double-skin, but there are a few areas (such as immediately behind the barn doors) where a solid rib goes up. If you want to fill the double skin with insulation, you'll find it different in every spot, and I imagine you'd just stuff the stuff in there. Lots of discussion and varying opinions about that, though, and moisture issues.

The height of the floor ribs is equal to 3 large washers I don't remember the actual measurement.

I have a bunch of pics of the bare van - I'll see if I can dig them up. I'm already weeks behind on writing the last part of the solar wiring post, so apologies in advance if I don't post them quickly.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

The Ford vans do not have "ribs" on the walls. It is a double-wall monocoque-style construction, which varying thickness and opening sizes. I'm pretty sure the body was designed to be a unibody, then Ford decided to keep it on a ladder frame. Chevy vans have a traditional rib structure.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
The height of the floor ribs is equal to 3 large washers I don't remember the actual measurement.

I have a bunch of pics of the bare van - I'll see if I can dig them up. I'm already weeks behind on writing the last part of the solar wiring post, so apologies in advance if I don't post them quickly.
I've been thinking that there is more randomness to the locations than logic. LOL.

It's only 3 large washers? So we're talking about ±1/4" then? That's not very high at all.

Pictures are always appreciated, whenever you have a chance. No hurry. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
The Ford vans do not have "ribs" on the walls. It is a double-wall monocoque-style construction, which varying thickness and opening sizes. I'm pretty sure the body was designed to be a unibody, then Ford decided to keep it on a ladder frame. Chevy vans have a traditional rib structure.
Well, I wasn't sure what to call them. I had to look up "monocoque" since I have never seen that word: 1: a type of construction (as of a fuselage) in which the outer skin carries all or a major part of the stresses, or 2: a type of vehicle construction (as of an automobile) in which the body is integral with the chassis

I guess in Ford's Econolines, it would be both definitions?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #5

I uploaded some pics from when I did my van - they're in my album:

gallery/album.php?album_id=253

They might give you some idea. You could also visit a Ford dealership, and check out a cargo van? The bodies are the same as a passenger van.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the photos, Mike. It doesn't look like the floor "ribs" are any larger than 1/4" there. And they don't seem to be at any regular consistent size or on-center dimension. That sort of throws a wrench into my design idea for my hydronically heated floor. Hmmm.... More CAD work is required.

And I have already visited my local Ford truck/van dealership. All the cargo vans I've seen have some sort of flooring mat/carpet down already, and I don't think they'd want me pulling it up to look underneath. LOL.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
I don't think there's anything 'regular' about the ribs in the body - they're seemingly random and for the life of me I can't understand why the interior wall bubbles out here, has a ridge there, etc... I had much more luck building on the fly than I did with pre-planning everything. There was always some irregularity that I'd have to adapt to.

That was my experience. You can see some photos in my gallery of how I adapted to it.

You really want to be careful when you screw into those ribs and make sure you don't go too far.

I ended up putting some wood strips horizontally along each side, mainly because I could not bend vertical ribs to my liking. Were I to do it again, I would take more time and actually bend them the proper way in order to make a real lattice arrangement. Still, I feel confident in my ability to hang stuff off of my existing wooden ribs, which are solidly anchored into Ford's metal "ribs." I also said "to hell with it" and put a few screws through the floor at strategic points, then sealed them with silicone.

I put wooden strips into the ceiling ribs, as well, to screw my wooden ceiling panels into.

If you're creative, there are many anchor points, whether they be ribs or the inner skin of the walls in some areas. I do agree, though - heartily, in fact - that it would be important to measure the actual ribs and walls in question before you make the plans. I had some irregularities that I had to adapt to.