Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #21

Re: pop out windows

@my3kids that sounds great, but I have a cargo van. No windows on the doors at all. Are you saying i wont be able to install any pop out windows, or just the ones that you're selling...

ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
You can duct tape directly to the door metal around the window. Remove the pin holding the hinge to the window and the nuts that are securing the window first. Lay the screen material over the opening, carefully press over the window mounting studs, run pieces of duct tape all around making sure to leave slack in the screen for the hinge to pivot out. Replace nuts and reassemble in in hinge. Done. Have to dig up those dang pictures before I get a "worthless without pics) reprimanding !!!
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if we could use some spare material to sew around some screen and hole punch it to install under the nuts. Maybe adding strip magnets inside the trim material? I also thought about getting some security screens and then adding regular screen to them before installation.

We're far from the detail work so I'll keep this in the far reaches of my mind, thanks.

-John
Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

If adding removable screening inside pop out windows why not use nylon screen cut-to-fit each opening overlapping the glass just enough to attach to the door shell? For example:

Create a folded or serged edge on the screen to keep them from unraveling, use small thumbtack-type magnets to hold them in place around the door? (Yellow arrows above) Magnetic thumbtacks: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=157

Just an idea, not sure it would work for most.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #24

I like it. We haven't decided if we want removable or permanent yet. Ultimately Mandi will decide based on aesthetics and I'll work on the engineering, rigging, depending on case.

-John
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #25

Ford conversion vans are pretty common in junkyards, and most will have some sort of plastic surround trim on the rear/side windows. I'd look for some trim there (especially if you are looking for the pop-out windows at the same time).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #26

Thanks. We have the windows installed already and we like the exposed metal look, kinda retro but in a newer van. I think we'll be junk yarding some this weekend so we'll take a look at what might be there. A bezel style piece of trim would be cool and still show some exposed metal.

When we grabbed the pop out windows a couple months ago there was another set so we may pull them and see if someone wants them for cost plus shipping. I think the last ones were 30 each.

-John
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #27

You can always use some plastic paint to change the color, too, if it doesn't match.

I had an extra set of pop-out windows for sale a while back, but shipping turned out to be too much of a PITA that I just sold them locally on CL. I know other forum members have shipped them successfully, though.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #28

Thanks for that. Maybe we'll just scout and see if anyone attending Expo East wants us to pull and bring them.

-John
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #29

We didn't see a set of rear pop-outs but there was a set for the barn doors, we don't have windows in our barn doors. I also noticed an extended passenger van that had a pop-out window behind the driver. Can't promise anything but if someone attending Expo East wants them we'll try to pull them for cost. We're not sure what the big passenger van pop out window costs.

-John
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #30

I also installed rear pop outs w/screens. Found some out of an 89, installed in 03. Great thread, worked out really well. Thanks for the detailed write ups.
Diamond Eye Exhuast
Dp Tuner
calebmogul is offline   Reply With Quote