Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Re: Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR installation

First of all let me throw out a huge THANKS to Greg for loaning me the crimper. My life today would have sucked without it. That thing works GREAT!

I got all the wiring done up to the point where I need to snake the leads through the front of the van up to where the aux battery will live next Friday. It took me the better part of 5 hours with 1 trip to the hardware store and 1 trip to Napa.

The heat shrink tubing that Greg gave me is the bomb. It has heat activated glue in it and between the crimper and the heat shrink tubing the cables are bomber and WILL NOT be coming apart. Making the custom cables yourself has a lot of advantages. You can crimp the ends on at the proper rotation so you aren't forced to twist the cable to install it. All the cables are the correct length so you don't end up with a 12V spaghetti monster inside the winch box.

I picked up some abrasion resistant tubing stuff at NAPA to protect the cables going through the bumper all the way up to the battery. I wish I had shopped for the stuff before I got all the cables connected. I had to undo some of the leads to install the outer protective tubing. It's some kind of fabric tubing that's coated with a black semi sticky stuff that they use to protect hydraulic lines on heavy equipment. The battery cables slid inside the stuff and are completely covered. I hope it takes the heat from inside the engine compartment.

Edit....I just noticed I have the small gauge red relay wire, wired to the wrong spot. It will be corrected first thing in the morning....John

Edit 2....Napa calls the protective fabric coating Fabric Loom. It was $1.29 a foot. I've also added a picture of the front of the van with the synthetic rope installed.

Pictures

Happiness is having the right tool for the job....Thanks again Greg

Finished cable ready to install

Winch wiring before I installed the outer protective coating where the leads come through the bumper

Battery cables with protective covering waiting to snake their way up to the Aux battery

Gnarvan's new look.....edited to show Warn fairlead cover modification

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

Re: Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR installation

Looking good,
Glad to see the crimper worked out for you. I believe I purchased the heat shrink at Waytek http://order.waytekwire.com/products...Heat%20Shrink/ ,although you can find it at various other places. For making cables on the bench, you can try the all solder method as seen in this video

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote