Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #71

Thanks a lot for the input B350. Your build is looking great so far, Ill definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #72

It's been about a month since my last post and any real progress on the van. No wonder I'm getting irritable! We got super lucky here in MN in that our fall was super mild with 60+ degree temps right into the middle of November. And now its a balmy 2 degrees.

The last two days of sunshine and warmth were wasted by staining the maple plywood I cut for the wall panels. Initially we thought that a distressed stained look showing some of the maple's nice grain would be cool. Not so. Never having stained a veneer type plywood I quickly found out each panel looks really different. After 2 days I concluded that we will cover the panels in a nice leather like dark grey vinyl. It will look way nicer.

One thing about this hardwood plywood is that it is extremely stiff. Meaning, I have to lay on the floor and basically squat the panels into place so that they curve inward to the furring strip. What experience do any of you have using a hardwood plywood on the walls? Is it a PIA? Is Lauan the better way to go if I'm just going to cover it in vinyl anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
WallPanel1.jpg   WallPanel2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #73

Pondering a few ideas for the interior build I've come up with the drawings below.
With this layout the center isle is only 21" wide. While I think this is enough, what are the common center isle measurements in your rigs? Is 21" too skinny?
Attached Thumbnails
Layout Top View Pic.jpg   Layout Side View DS Pic.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #74

Passenger side layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Layout Side View PS Pic.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #75

Twentyone inches is okay for one person. Nice and cozy for two passing by each other. Be sure to verify ant any cabinet doors are less than 21" wide. Otherwise they will not open all the way.
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #76

Great point Larrie, and I agree 21" is fine. Your proposed floor plan is almost exactly like Glider's van and quite similar to my last rendition of my former van (Rusty). I'll try to post some pics for reference if you like.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #77

Garage
I've attached a few photos and a build sheet from the Silver Streak for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
23640.jpeg   22866.jpeg   22864.jpeg   22865.jpeg   22521.jpg  

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #78

Thanks guys. 21" between the jack knife sofa and the counter it is. Behind that there will be 24" between cabinets which will be just fine.

I found indoor storage for Vantasi right before the temps plummeted to below zero this past week. So, the plan for the week between Christmas and New Year's is to lay vinyl plank flooring and adhere vinyl to the wall panels. The vinyl plank floor is sturdy and will be glued down to the plywood. The planks lock together and should make a nice surface, waterproof and all. Anybody have any bad experiences with plank floor in a van? It seems like a durable and waterproof option...
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #79

We had plank in our new, to us, van. It had cupped from getting water on top of it and seeping into the cracks. When I took it up there was black mold under it.

If you are using your van in the winter remember that snow will come into the van on your shoes and you will need to deal with the meltwater on the floor.
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by B350 View Post
One thing about this hardwood plywood is that it is extremely stiff. Meaning, I have to lay on the floor and basically squat the panels into place so that they curve inward to the furring strip. What experience do any of you have using a hardwood plywood on the walls? Is it a PIA? Is Lauan the better way to go if I'm just going to cover it in vinyl anyway?
My local plywood emporium carries "wiggle-wood" bender board in several different thicknesses. All of the ply's have the grain running in the same direction....bends ridiculously easy. I used some 1/2" wiggle-wood on my rear cabinet build to curve the rear to match the rear doors.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote