Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

Re: 1995 4x4 SMB Low miles

I didn't think that SMB did 4x4 conversions that long ago?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #12

Since people already brought up the engine, can someone tell me the difference between the 351 and 460 and which one you prefer? I wouldn't say I'm a complete dunce about engines but what do the number designations stand for?

Thanks.

This seems like an insanely good deal and exactly what I'll want when I'm ready for my first.
santi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by santi
Since people already brought up the engine, can someone tell me the difference between the 351 and 460 and which one you prefer? I wouldn't say I'm a complete dunce about engines but what do the number designations stand for?

Thanks.

This seems like an insanely good deal and exactly what I'll want when I'm ready for my first.
351 and 460 are cubic inch sizes, which is one of the ways engines are known. Liters is the other. Not sure about the 351 but the 460 is also known as a 7.5 liter. 351 was a medium sized v8 gasoline engine in the years this van was produced, 460 was the biggest. 302 would have been the small one. More modern Ford engines are usually known by their liter size. 4.6 is the smaller one, usually in 1/2 ton or '150' trucks and vans, 5.4 is the medium one and the most popular, which is in many 250/350 trucks and vans, and the 6.8 liter v10 is the biggest one, only in 1 ton '350' vehicles. Then their are the diesels. Back then the diesel option would be the 7.3 liter, then their was the 6.0, and now the 6.4. The liter sizes in diesels have jumped around but they have gotten stronger over time despite smaller liter sizes.
If that's not helpful I can describe them another way:
351 - eats a lot of gas
460 - eats a ton of gas but will pull about anything (gets the same bad MPG regardless of load).

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #14

I have a 1995 Quigley with a 351. There are no Quigley badges on my van at all. SMB were not doing 4x4 conversions back then so whatever it is it's ain't an SMB conversion. The transfer case shifter looks just like the one on my Quigley.

I would be very careful to look for rust. The Ford part of my van is solid but the Quigley bits are not. The paint did not hold up well and all the arms and welded on brackets have a lot of surface rust. In a damp area it might be much worse than that. Do check the underbody above the rear axle though. Ford built in a water trap in the plates that hold the body-mount bolts on above the rear axle (planned obsolescence?) that can rust out without being visible until it gets pretty bad.

My 351 set up like that gets around 12 mpg most of the time, town or highway. I have seen 8 mpg towing a large pop-up camper at highway speeds in crazy winds. I looked at a couple of 460's when I was shopping. I was told they are consistently 10 mpg and that it doesn't change much no matter what you do.

Seems to me that that van is a good deal as long as the bottom is not rusted out. Oh yeah, do check and see what the fuel tank capacity is. Back then Quigley just cut and shrank the stock Ford tank, leaving you about 24 gals. At 8-10 mpg you'd need to resupply pretty regularly. If you are in the market, I'd jump on it. I am very happy with mine and they seem to be really reliable.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #15

I know Chris at Ujoint has a 12v that needs a good home.....buy it ship it to Chris 12v swap, 4inch lift, couple of new goodies bumpers, new tank,roof rack then call it good.
All could be done for probably less then 35k with cost of van.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
check and see what the fuel tank capacity is. Back then Quigley just cut and shrank the stock Ford tank, leaving you about 24 gals
Ad says dual tanks... still no info on capacity.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
check and see what the fuel tank capacity is. Back then Quigley just cut and shrank the stock Ford tank, leaving you about 24 gals
Ad says dual tanks... still no info on capacity.
My SMB is a 1996 with the 460-V8 and Quigley conversion, and it has dual tanks. I have a 46 gal fuel capacity between the two tanks.
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #18

Well after much thought I have decided to pass on this van. I had it held for a couple of days and have been in communication ALOT with the seller, who is a wonderful and honest person. They just need to part with the van. There are no big surprises or problems and I can answer a lot of the questions definitively about it. The timing is just not right for me and it's much older than my current van.
What I know for sure:
1. 460/e40D (250HP, 400ft/lb torque or close)
2. Quigley conversion
3. Starcool
4. some rust in rain gutter, and light rust underneath
5. just about every option available back then but NO fridge
6. all original paperwork and every record complete
7. owned in NY by one family and then by current owner in WY (just moved to Pittsburg recently, not owned it's whole life there
8. SMB West conversion, van bought from a dealership in CA, then converted
9. black and gray water
10. Factory front AND rear air, in addition to Starcool
11. dual fuel tanks, 29/27 IIRC
12. rear spare on rack for above reason, but pretty rusty and small dent where it mounts
13. left side is as expected (though not pictured), 2 windows, older propane setup with no door (not missing, that's just the way it was done). There's a hole in the lower side at propane controls. Missing LF hubcap, no biggie there.
14. Carpet is well worn for 21K. I can't quite figure this one out.
15. table is there, 2 floor flanges (front and midship)
16. Factory, metal trimmed screens in all pop out windows (and being a 95 it has all four)
17. It's a modified RB10 floorplan. It has a really nice space inside the rear doors. Right side holds lots of stuff and a porta potty, and is big enough to put a shower almost, though not sure about head room back there having not seen it in person. Left side even has some space above the Starcool behind the rear left cabinet.
18. PW, PDL (no keyless), cruise, tilt, double armrest seats, both swivel, fire ext., original radio/cassette, SMB overhead storage bin (like the current ones).
19. New tires and brakes as stated in ad

Reasons I passed:
1. It's a 95. OBDII didn't start til 96. No modern programmer, scanguage or diagnostic hookups
2. A little concerned about the rust
3. Personally, timing just isn't right to write the check. I would then have 2 vans and 4 vehicles.
4. Not sure quite all of my accessories (hitches, etc.) would fit.

The seller is very helpful and honest, and has the van at an Indy shop right now getting the 25k maintenance items done and making sure it is ready for a road trip to a new home. It is NOT available to be looked at until early next week.

I probably have more and will edit post as I think about it. It's an older van but a solid deal if you need power and want to feed the beast. Interior is dated and carpet needs attention. I have no idea what you might find underneath, but seller is willing to let the perspective buyer talk to their Indy mechanic WITHOUT them in between. They were very clear about that, nothing is hidden and price is negotiable.

I'm probably going to regret this, but at least I bought a Jeep yesterday.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #19

86Scotty
I think you made the right choice
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #20

All, to those I have missed, my apologies. Have had much interest and am regularly responding to emails. Please try laurag@wyoming.com if I have not heard from you, it may be coming through as spam. Yes, I just checked, that is the problem. Ok, update on the van (I have learned a lot about it and it's condition/specs). It is a gasoline engine, 460 motor, Dana axle, etc. Runs perfectly and moves very smoothly. The interior is in great condition (for age; no tears, dash cracks, clean upholstery, and penthouse is in good shape with no window cracks, etc.). Has Quigley conversion (I have all paperwork) and I believe was purchased (or at least the van was) from a Ford dealership in Clovis, CA. I am the second owner. Thomas Buehler was the original owner (if you want to check with SportsMobile). In good faith, here are the concerns: brake leak. Brakes in good shape BUT somewhere there is a leak, I don't want to pull axles or chase. Also, it's original owners drove it from the Hamptons, NY to Baja, CA three times and in between it sat exposed to sea mist/salt on Long Island. Therefore, there is rust on all four corners of the rain gutter below the penthouse, the bolts on top of the penthouse are rusty, and the undercarriage has significant rust scale/rust. I am told this is superficial, but as a Wyoming girl and one who is not familiar with rust, I need the buyer to be the judge. I am happy to share pictures of that scale and due to understanding these issues (took in to my mechanic today re: brakes) I am willing to sell for 6,500 OBO. Please only send correspondence to laurag@wyoming.com (my work computer will not let me access this site). I am entertaining a local offer and would need to hear from you quickly. The BEST way to reach me the quickest is 307-752-1169 via text as I am unable to check emails during the work day (which is long). This van will sell this week!
laurag is offline   Reply With Quote