Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

Re: 2006 EB50(ish?) with 4 captains chairs - $25,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Not entirely true.. They require a pretty thorough multi hundred dollar inspection at a dealer before they will list it.
They didn't with mine. Maybe they've changed or maybe it's hit and miss, but my check engine light was on and the mileage was 1,500 off at time of purchase. The pictures posted were years old. I mean I bought it anyway, but although SMB certainly implied (to me, at the time) the vans listed on their site were fully inspected the reality is they haven't seen most of them since they left the factory. I'd certainly ask to see this multi-hundred dollar inspection report before leaving next time- and I've yet to see a Ford dealer who knows anything about the RV side of the conversion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret my purchase but I was distressed at the time by the blind process and the discrepancies between my van and "their" listing.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Not entirely true.. They require a pretty thorough multi hundred dollar inspection at a dealer before they will list it.
They didn't with mine.
It would certainly be possible to lie, have an unscrupulous dealer complete the form, or otherwise cheat... which seems to be what happened in your case.

And the form is only on the vehicle, not on RV components, although they do facilitate inspections on those systems at other RV dealers, based on buyers/sellers interest.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #13

A perusal of SMBs used listing info on the web shows that they inspect the coach part of the van for SMBs in their possession (not all are), and that the buyer can pay extra (like $150 IIRC) for a mechanical inspection at a local dealer. For the fees they charge to list they aren't doing very much work.

From SMB-Texas' used page:

Plan I: Pre-Owned in Our Possession.
Note: Sportsmobile West does not sell Pre-Owned Sportsmobiles under this plan. See plan II below.

Pre-owned Sportsmobiles that are in Sportsmobile Texas or Sportsmobile North possession are detailed and inspected. Electrical, propane and plumbing systems are checked but not warrantied by Sportsmobile.

Chassis inspection by a third party can be arranged by Sportsmobile for $125. This is a comprehensive analysis that includes the engine, drive train, road testing, chassis exterior and interior items.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
It would certainly be possible to lie, have an unscrupulous dealer complete the form, or otherwise cheat... which seems to be what happened in your case.

And the form is only on the vehicle, not on RV components, although they do facilitate inspections on those systems at other RV dealers, based on buyers/sellers interest.
Yeah, I think I bought my van from the only SMB owner I wouldn't give my house keys too while I was on vacation. I wouldn't change a thing though, if it meant giving up one minute with my van or one day of camping- but the whole process has been a learning experience. It's kind of a double edged sword, the few bad things are overwhelmed by how awesome vans are, and it feels wrong to complain- like yeah, there was a fly in my ice cream, but it was really, really good ice cream.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, I think I bought my van from the only SMB owner I wouldn't give my house keys too while I was on vacation. I wouldn't change a thing though, if it meant giving up one minute with my van or one day of camping- but the whole process has been a learning experience. It's kind of a double edged sword, the few bad things are overwhelmed by how awesome vans are, and it feels wrong to complain- like yeah, there was a fly in my ice cream, but it was really, really good ice cream.
Totally understand, I would feel the same way. In the end, you bought a sweet van.. but it wasn't quite the sweet van you thought you bought.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:

I wouldn't change a thing though, if it meant giving up one minute with my van or one day of camping- but the whole process has been a learning experience. It's kind of a double edged sword, the few bad things are overwhelmed by how awesome vans are, and it feels wrong to complain- like yeah, there was a fly in my ice cream, but it was really, really good ice cream.
I feel the same way every time I find an Easter egg (or hand grenade pins, as I like to call them) that one of the previous owners left for me. Like the ruptured flat plate or random unterminated wires under the dash.

The dealership "inspection" report of mine said "4x4 system (checked)". I think they must have meant they "looked to see if it was there... yep!" because the first time I touched the front shift lever the pivot broke off in my hand.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
I feel the same way every time I find an Easter egg (or hand grenade pins, as I like to call them) that one of the previous owners left for me.
I found a handful of live shotgun shells rolling around under my couch.. Thankfully before I went to Mexico with the van. That would have taken some explaining.