Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #11

Just sayin’

Not to forget V10 6.8 sips on ethanol-free gas only FWIW

Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:28 PM   #12

Just for data sake.

I have a 2007 v10, high top, 4x4 by advanced 4:10
Gearing, I am religious about tracking mileage, and generally am in the 10-12 mpg range….be it 395 from Tahoe to mammoth or on the cost driving the 101 or even hwy 1. I try to cruise control at 65 when on the open road to save a little rather than hammering at 75-80 on the freeway.

I get some kick ass mileage between Truckee
And Auburn CA though cruising downhill in 80! ��
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:22 AM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
11.9, 11.5, 11.2, 11.6, 11.1
Wind, uphill, downhill, slow speed, high speed...just git in and drive it
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:33 AM   #14

Seems that gas mileage threads in the van world are like tire threads in the motorcycle world - common and full of anecdotes, many irrelevant.

And with both, I think there is just too many variables to get any accurate information. How you drive is the biggest variable and cannon be compared on the Internet. I’ve done multiple convoy trips from GA to CO and we swap vehicles regularly and the swing by vehicle is between 2-4 mpg depending on the driver. Considering we are never more than 1/4mile apart this is highlights each drivers style.

In the end I’ve accepted my lead foot and like the others who have already mentioned this Range is my primary concern. I consider my consistently low MPG as my fun tax, which I gladly pay.
fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:05 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjefman View Post
Seems that gas mileage threads in the van world are like tire threads in the motorcycle world - common and full of anecdotes, many irrelevant.

And with both, I think there is just too many variables to get any accurate information. How you drive is the biggest variable and cannon be compared on the Internet. I’ve done multiple convoy trips from GA to CO and we swap vehicles regularly and the swing by vehicle is between 2-4 mpg depending on the driver. Considering we are never more than 1/4mile apart this is highlights each drivers style.

In the end I’ve accepted my lead foot and like the others who have already mentioned this Range is my primary concern. I consider my consistently low MPG as my fun tax, which I gladly pay.
That sums it all up fairly accurately, IMHO anyway. Individually we greatly affect our own MPG's to a large extent. I suppose with gas prices increasing almost hourly this will become of higher than normal interest.

If you're willing to follow simple driving rules designed to ease fuel use along with running lighter when/if possible you'll do the best your vehicle can achieve. Since most of us choose to run somewhat fuel inefficient vehicles its a cost we'll bear until we make another choice.

I've long ago pretty much abandoned checking MPG's, using more of a butt dyno to assess my fuel usage. Since my income is derived pretty much 100% from my E-Series taking me to the job(s) it's an expense like any other in a business.

Naturally if I were using a van for recreational purposes I'd kinda watch fuel consumption but it would not be a deal breaker, the "fun tax" Fjefman mentions.

I do swear "aerodynamics" is NOT part of a van's major design considerations---its as though that's a dirty word to our world.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #16

My Quigley, no hightop, has averaged 11.8 mpg over the last 70,000 miles. All my fuel purchases are entered into an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the exact mileage. With the 4.56 gears it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm running 45 mpg on dirt roads or 70 mpg on the highway - mileage stays pretty consistent.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #17

The only way we get double digits is 55mph and that is barely creeping into 10mpg. Otherwise 8.8 all day long cruising 65-70.

2013 EB50 high top 4x4 4.33 gears.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #18

On our May to Spetember 2013 trip from home in PA to Fairbanks, AK and return I logged every mile and gallon of gas. 13,708.3 miles / 961.4 gal. / 14.26 mpg
1992 EB with 351 Windsor V8; 2 WD; 3.73 gear ratio / pop top

Best mileage segment Steamboat Springs, CO to Vernal, UT 5/20/13 to 5/25/13

385 miles / 23.31 gal / 16.52 mpg (Basically all downhill on I 70)

Worst segment Winnemucca, NV to Reno, NV

336 miles / 31.15 gal / 10.79 mpg (High speed on I80; might have been headwinds. Too long ago to remember. My trip notes don't say.)

And of course YMMV!
CaptainBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #19

Garage
I rarely even check, but ONLY time I've ever been truly impressed with my mileage was a 186 mile stretch leading into Salt Lake...on the back of a flatbed tow (AAA picked up the tab ).
Old 03-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #20

I guess this is turning into the "What kind of MPG do you get?" thread...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-26647.html

But I think my van and experience sort of fits your #4 condition (V10, poptop). Well actually it had NO top but... close enough to a low-profile poptop like an SMB. I agree it depends heavily on how you drive, but on my drive from CA to CO (net elevation gain), I saw an average of 15 mpg driving at the speed limit the whole way (65, 70, or 75mph depending on what hwy I was on). Completely stock RB passenger van.

Maybe the type of transmission makes a difference as well? Mine is a 2013 with the 5R110W.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote