Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #11

Re: New Build: Looking to Upgrade all Brakes above stock

I had them and they cracked within 20,000 miles (yes they were cryo). My new '09 OEM rotors have been holding up much better.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #12

If you want to go big look for a pre 05 F550 and get the rotors and Knuckles off that. They use a almost 15in rotor and larger calipers.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimneyman
im running power stop rotors and pads and i also had them HEAT TREAT & CRYO. 200% better brakes i can lock up 35" tires when my v an is loaded. its worth the money. I have these same rotor on my E350 Service van and i was putting brakes on every 6 months rotors to. scene I Put the Drilled Cryo rotors and there ceramic pads no problems. for over 1 year I have these on ever 4x4 I own. So i don't know what brand rotors you are using. But buy putting mine on its saved me thousands of dollars. of the cost of new brakes every 6 months and my service van down for a day.

What is the cost for rotors and pads heat treated and cryo? I see they have the extreme duty towing and heavy vehicle pad as well. Cost of both items?

Anyone else have any experience with this company? I wonder how they compare to Brakeman which is recommended by SMB? Brakeman run about $900 for 4 rotors and pads for the SMB.
I had SMB do the brakeman upgrade about 12 months ago, after driving 4 years with the stock setup.

There is a noticeable difference in stopping power. But it is very modest and does not change how I need to drive the SMB. I retains all of the handling/braking characteristics you'd expect from a 10k pound truck. I doubt that any brake upgrade will change the physics of an SMB.

Both SMB and brakeman told me that the key advantage of the upgrade was resistance to brake fade, not improved stopping power. I've found this to be true and have 'tested' the new setup on some pretty hairy descents. So basically, I don't assume I can stop any faster, but am far more confident that the brakes will be there if/when I need them.

R
Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

I had SMB do the brakeman upgrade about 12 months ago, after driving 4 years with the stock setup.

There is a noticeable difference in stopping power. But it is very modest and does not change how I need to drive the SMB. I retains all of the handling/braking characteristics you'd expect from a 10k pound truck. I doubt that any brake upgrade will change the physics of an SMB.

Both SMB and brakeman told me that the key advantage of the upgrade was resistance to brake fade, not improved stopping power. I've found this to be true and have 'tested' the new setup on some pretty hairy descents. So basically, I don't assume I can stop any faster, but am far more confident that the brakes will be there if/when I need them.

R
What did you have done Rob, the $1K job or the 4K job? I was told there is a vast difference in stopping distance with the larger Storm brake setup. What you're saying sounds like what I found on the Brakeman pads and rotor change I did several years back; the $1000 job.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #15

I would have to agree with Rob with regard to lack of Brake Fade and not a shorter distance of stopping
We are at 11,000 pound's when loaded and have found that the Brakeman upgrade at the time of our build was a very wise decision , I cannot imagine what the stock Brake configuration would have been like . I have never experienced and sign of fade and allow for that extra measure of Safety Distance when at Speed or in Traffic . Our Brakes were of the
$4,000.00 type at time of build whatever the difference might be .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Probably the difference between E350 and 450 brakes with less fade than stock 450. I would think it has to stop in a shorter distance than my van with yours having the bigger calipers and pads. Maybe one of these days we can do a side by side race n stop. Are vans weigh the same.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote