Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #21

Re: Cooking setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
At a minimum, hard wire the inverter to the house battery system and plug the microwave into the inverter itself.
Thanks for the info. Yea running a male to male 110 cord is asking for trouble. Don't they call those sucide cords? I wish my microwave was just plugged into my 110 GFI outlet instead of hard wired into it because then all I would have to do is unplug the microwave and plug it into the inverter wired to my battery. Why is it hardwired in the first place? In regards to hardwiring an inverter to my AC is it as simple as removing my converter/charger and replacing it with the inverter/charger? Maybe I should just get a generator, but I would like to be able to use my 110 outlets while driving.

Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimneyman
I am putting in a flush mount cook top oven pizza oven. In My build.Because my wife loves to cook so if she can cook we get to stay running round the county longer.

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l62 ... 19463d.jpg

smart man
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #23

I'm surprised it's hardwired, my fridge is just plugged into a socket hidden behind it. I'd assumed the m/w would be the same way. Replacement plug end is like 39¢ at Home Depot, so that can be easily remedied probably with nothing more than a screwdriver.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #24

One reason to hardwire a high-load appliance is so it doesn't get plugged into nearby outlets wired with smaller gauge wiring. 14-gauge 110v wiring is common in RVs, and some microwaves may exceed what 14-gauge can safely provide.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Your microwave is hard wired? I've never pulled mine out but always thought there would be a standard outlet behind my microwave and it just plugs in same as the refrigerator. I was told by SMB that they have refrigerator on it's own circuit so it can be turned off when the inverter is on to let it run off the DC circuit. Never checked the MW but they do pull a hell of a load. It might be a RVIA thing.
I would just make sure the inverter is connected to the battery using rated connectors not clamps. When you connect to the electrical system you might want to take it to an RV shop to have it done correctly.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #26

On my 2004 build, the microwave is not hardwired, it goes to a outlet.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #27

Greg in Austin,

Which George Foreman did you buy? Do the grill plates come out so you can wash then easily?

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #28

After lots of research,we have just replaced an older unit (3 years old w/non removable plates) with the G4 (w/removable plates), its a great price here.... http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0 we were intrested in the newest model(evolve) but too many bad reviews on that model
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
On my 2004 build, the microwave is not hardwired, it goes to a outlet.
You guys are all correct. I keep getting confused with the wiring, but the microwave is plugged into a 110 outlet behind it. Is it the Norcold Fridge that I am thinking is hardwired to the electrical panel? The good news is I should now be able to connect an inverter to my external 115 amp battery and plug in my microwave to zap a quick meal when off the grid.
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #30

Of course if you're looking at the 12v side of the fridge power and thinking the giant red and white wires (what I have) are the 110v system, then that would be, well, expected to be hard wired. I've had impressions of how things were from glancing and when I pulled things apart to change things they were much different than my impression.